Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
01-05-2006, 12:19 AM   #71

Re: Genetics and Colours - as promised

i dont know lol maybe it takes a while for the back colour and the tabby colour to match lol i dont know, and i do think all solids have ghost markings at first well maybe not blacks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-05-2006, 08:55 AM   #72

It's so complicated isn't Nat? Dog colour genetics is so much easier

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
01-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #73

I have never known a short-haired black cat (self-coloured) who did not have ghost markings. Sometimes they're very difficult to see, I always found it easiest on the forehead, and in Ninja I've only spotten them maybe twice so far, but they are there. Finally makes sense now If you look hard at Maude and Clooney you can still see them particularly on the tail in the picture with them having a cuddle while the kittens played, I think.

Edit: posted in the Clooney-clones thread to show the picture I meant.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
01-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #74

I couldn't see any in Casey, yet I have in Molly, and also in Pebbles who is black and white - both on the head, and in fact it is the only place I have seen ghost tabby markings. My neighbour has a grey and white, and he has ghost tabby stripes on his tail (well, rings I suppose)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
02-05-2006, 02:05 AM   #75

i have had a few black cats and they have had no ghost markings at all even as every young kittens

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-05-2006, 02:33 AM   #76

Hreow, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that Abys have faint ghost stripes when they're young...I think I read this when I had Sultan....??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
02-05-2006, 07:52 AM   #77

Hmmm... I think Abys used to have more stripey-tabby markings in the past, but that it has been (mostly) bred out of them now. As in, if they do have bracelets, or other stripey bits (bar the 'M' on the forehead, that is), it's considered a fault. So they can obviously have unmasked mackrel in their genotype. I've also read that they can have fading ghost-markings, but none of the kittens I have seen have had any. You wouldn't be fishing for a picture of Rover when he was a wee bairn, would you now?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreow
Hmmm... I think Abys used to have more stripey-tabby markings in the past, but that it has been (mostly) bred out of them now. As in, if they do have bracelets, or other stripey bits (bar the 'M' on the forehead, that is), it's considered a fault. So they can obviously have unmasked mackrel in their genotype. I've also read that they can have fading ghost-markings, but none of the kittens I have seen have had any. You wouldn't be fishing for a picture of Rover when he was a wee bairn, would you now?
I wasn't. but now that you mention it....! Sultan was a ruddy Aby of the 70's; had no tabby markings at all except his M. I'm going to have to dig out my old books & see if I can find that about ghostmarkings in kittens.. SURE I read it somewhere.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
02-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #79

Perfect colour for a cat. I can call him the ruddy cat without being told off for more than Americanisms.
I'll post his baby-picture in a new thread. Hijacked this one enough for now.