Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #81

Re: Amber rushed to emergency hospital

I'd just like to say, as one who was outraged by it all, this must have been a very hard lesson for Jayne but thank god she has seen sense and let the breeder take Amber into her care. I seriously hope that she makes a full recovery. I am pleased to read that the kittens are doing well and I hope they too go from strength to strength.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #82

Very well put, Elaine, agree completely!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
24-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #83

Amber, haviing only been at the breeders vet for half a day, finally has a diagnosis. She has a very severe case of Acute Sceptic Mastitis. The vet is having to operate on Amber to cut away all the necrosis. Hopefully he will be able to get rid of everything and Amber will make a full recover although that isn't a certainty as it has got into her bloodstream.

I would be livid with Jayne's vet if I were her as this could all have been prevented if he had continued to treat the original mastitis with an appropriate anti-biotic. Instead the vet said the mastitis had gone and then did several full blood tests, x-rays and even a scan and still didn't discover this. He has tested for leukeamia, hepititis, calcium defiency, toxoplasmosis among others. It has cost Jayne over £1500. Seems to me they are one of those money grabbing surgerys. So glad mine isn't like that. I would definitely put a complaint in especially since they have been treating her on and off for 11 days, of which the last four she was totally in their care yet the breeder has her for just half a day and knows what is wrong.

Anyway fingers crossed she pulls through.

The kittens are still doing well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #84

Poor little cat - the situation that Jayne found herself in with her vet is appalling. I do hope that she can make an official complaint. Glad that Amber's condition has been diagnosed and I do so hope she recovers. Very glad the kittens are still thriving.

It's a very good thing that she has had your support Kay.

Catsey Veteran

24-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #85

Thanks Angie.

While I don't agree with Jayne having bred from a cat that is registered on the non-active register and sold as a pet only, I feel she does need someone she can turn to should she need to. I would hate for something to happen to the kittens just because Jayne felt she could no longer as for help.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
24-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #86

I am so glad that the kittens are feeding and the vet now knows whats wrong with Amber. Can you send Jayne my regards if possible. I wish i had been more supportive but from the last daft poster we had it annoyed me.

Catsey Veteran

24-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #87

I will do.

Cats owned: Asians and Burmese
24-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #88

I feel the same - whatever the rights and wrongs of this case (such a pity - I wonder if the mastitis was itself caused by the queen being unable to nurse the kittens at first?), Jayne has certainly had a very bad deal from her vet.

I hope (please pass this on to her, along with my best wishes for the kittens, the poor lady must be exhausted!) that she will not pay the vet bill, I mean the one for her own vet, but will instead change vets and simply write to her own vet explaining why she will not pay. Let them take her to court. They won't want to do that, because if they do they will look bad and they will be well aware that they are unlikely to get their money. They will sell the debt to a debt collectors, they will eventually sell it to another, and so on. As long as there is no CCJ registered against her, there is no cause for alarm, and as I understand it, her husband holds the wallet strings anyway. Ride it out, Jayne! Morally, it is Amber's breeder who needs to have the vet fees paid, put the money you get from the kittens towards that.

I hope Amber makes a full recovery.

Way off topic but speaking of Selkirks - if anyone here knows a Selkirk breeder in Luton who recently sold a blue shorthaired curly boy to a deaf lady from London, I saw the boy yesterday, he is doing well, now has another kitten playmate (from me), and is a real cutie. I think it is safe to say he has fallen on his feet with that lady too.

Liz

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #89

Thanks again for the update Kay, i am so pleased to hear poor Amber now has a diagnosis, lets hope she makes a full recovery. Fantastic news on the Kittens too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #90

Glad to hear the kittens are thriving; hope Amber will make a full recovery. I agree about not paying that vet!!