Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #1

How's your High Street?

I've just heard on the news that the Principles chain has gone into administration, no buyer has been found and therefore the shops (the stand-alone ones, not the concessions inside e.g.Debenhams) will close.

There must be some big gaps in some High Streets now - how is yours?

I must say we are doing well (so far). Our Woolies is due to be one of the first ex-Woolies to become Iceland shortly, a closed Safeway has recently reopened as Morrisons, the small independents seem to be doing OK and the only real vacancies are a biggish shoe shop which closed at the end of its lease at the start of the year, and the former Boots store, which has moved into a better, larger site. Maybe the smaller market towns will fare better than the large 'destination' shopping centres?

I must say the people behind the recently opened mall in Bristol, and the soon to open up-market outlet centre in Gloucester must be worried.

The (independent) coffee shop was doing well as we munched our home made ginger cake this morning. OH asked how things were as he paid and the response was that after a couple of worryingly quiet Saturdays, things seemed to be buzzing again. Coffee places appear to be the 'new pubs', in that people enjoy the refreshments and the buzz. Our local pubs are not so healthy, with two having closed in recent months and another which will close if new tenants can't be found.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #2

Re: How's your High Street?

I'm a bad person and don't go anywhere near the nearest High Street if I can help it. A woman who doesn't like shopping! An Alien, I hear you all cry!!!!

Our local farmshop seems to be doing well, the car park is always busy. It's a pleasure going there, the youngsters who serve on the tills are good communicators, pleasant and quick and if you can't find anything you only have to ask. That'll do me. I do my "big shop" online and get it delivered.

Catsey Veteran

07-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #3

I'm a non-shopper too angie. Hate it!
I used to like a quiet window-shop, when I had no intention of buying anything but was just looking, but my little town now is too small for that - I could do the whole town (2 streets) in 15 minutes!
The coffeee shop is good though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
07-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #4

Not a shopper either I'm afraid. I shop when I have to. I am extremely spoilt as OH does 95% of our food shoppping. I am not concerned about fashion or latest trends so tend to get most of my clothes at large agricultural shows, horse events or craft fairs etc. My last purchases were waterproof trousers with bib and brace, wellies, goretex gloves and a snuggly hat!!

Our village High St is v small and over the years shops come and go - I've not noticed much change to be honest.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #5

*Shuffles off, chewing on her dentures and treading down the heel of her pom-pom slippers*

You know that lady who was over on the Magazine thread...... she's just popped her head in here and said "Town's too full of those young people!"

Catsey Veteran

07-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #6

.. :d :d

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #7

Over the years my local High Street has lost .....

2 Butchers
2 Fruit & Veg shops
Bakery
Ironmongers (remember those?!)
Mens outfitters
Pet Shop
Electrical Shop
Drapery/wool shop

They have been replaced by.....

3 Estate Agents
Betting Shop
Poundland
2 Takeaways
Second-hand shop
DVD Rental shop
Computer bits & pieces shop

.......... all because Sainsbury's opened a store nearby - it ruined their trade..

The only time I use the High Street now is for the Post Office and my hairdressers..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #8

Across the Pond Wisconsin Avenue's the equivalent of a High street for the neighborhood; very little change; one lovely Italian restaurant closed for tax evasion (!), a nightclub shuttered for months because of a fire, and the Vespa dealership recently closed. I'm a reluctant shopper also except for groceries,booze; do 99% of it on line, including the big food shop. The recession hasn't hit as hard in Washington because it's a government town, no industry to speak of.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
07-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #9

we have a large shopping center, plus a mall. and the mall is losing trade shops closing down. we have alot of charaty shops which are packed out.and what do they do put their prices up. so some stuff is cheaper to buy new.
we do have a primark which i totally adore. if that closed down id be naked lol
we also have a huge asdas, but theres also alot of gaps in the actul town center, but ppl here are still buying like made. credit crunch what credit crunch u hear them say. now lets spend some more on the credit cards!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #10

We have had the usual casualties; Zavvi, The Pier, Woolworths (hurrah) - I read an wonderful idea somewhere that the usually town centre ex-woolies locations should be turned into proper, permanent farmer's markets giving many of these small businesses a wonderfully central location and readdress the balance of the high street.

Also gone (although still trading nationally I think) are Jigsaw and Uniqlo. I tend not to pay much attention as many are just clones of the others. I hope businesses such as Laura Ashley, Next and Lombok remain - they seem to be little oases of quality amongst the usual high street, teen-orientated tat.

And of course, my fave; dear old John Lewis is still going strong