Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
08-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #1

Lainey is poorly

Somethin's up with Lainey. She's been wheezing since Sat at about 8pm. Well not constantly. She's done this once before where it was like she had an "attack" and it lasted several hours. It's like sharp intakes of breath like something is caught in the back of her throat or kind of reminds me of when a ferret is about to pass a hairball.
I brought it up to my vet last time and we decided it was a fluke thing since it only happened once and some ferrets' respiratory systems are just more sensitive than others and she tends to be nosier than everyone else. The vet gave her a clean bill of health and all were satisfied.
This time it has not stopped. Of course my vet's not been open past 2pm Saturday and I do not trust our ER vet here with such a problem for a ferret so I am waiting to talk to my vet in the morning.
She isn't really playing. Kind of moping around and laying near me which is unusual for her. Sometimes she shivers. I haven't seen her eat her kibble but she's been getting soup and baby food and then again I wasn't watching very closely to her eating habits because we were crazy busy this weekend and I really thought it was just gonna be another fluke thing. So now it's almost 5am and I am on "Lainey Duty". I wanna evaluate her potties and her eating so I know exactly what's going on and when/if I need to start syringe feeding her.
If you give her tone or hairball remedy she wants it but then starts doing the sharp intakes of breath and runs away in fear. I've gotten a bit of those things down her plus soup but it is making me nervous if I have to force feed her because it seems like if you hold her chest a little too firm it irritates her into the sharp intakes of breath again.
She keeps staring at me and I keep offering her things. Baby Bear and Annie have an appointment on Thursday but I think I just might have to bring her in sooner if I can get a ride arranged.
Vet opens in several hours, I'll update in a bit. I'm gonna go sit with her now...
Please send good vibes for my baby that her breathing stablizes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #2

Re: Lainey is poorly

How terribly worrying for you Tink. Fingers crossed all will be well - healing vibes for Lainey and "I'm here mom" vibes for Kuan Yin.

Can ferrets stand a bit of steam? Just a thought - it's the sort of thing I've heard helps kids with croup.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #3

It almost sounds like an asthma attack doesn't it? 2.30pm here so I'm hoping it will soon be vet-opening time at your end and something can put your mind at rest - oh, and don't worry about that naughty cat who's found an intersting place to explore and hide from you ... meal time will bring her out, I think

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #4

Healing vibes coming; hope you can get to see the vet .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
08-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #5

What a worrying time for you. I do hope that she is ok and your vet is able to get to the root of the problem.

Catsey Veteran

08-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #6

Well it turns out my vet is out of town till Wednesday. However, the vet that is her partner is ferret knowledgable which I was not aware of. He says since Lainey is not acting herself he'd suggest bringing her in sooner so I've made an appointment for 9:30am tomorrow with him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
08-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #7

Best of luck Tink hope she's ok poor wee mite. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #8

I hope he'll be able to get it sorted, Tink. Keep us posted.

Catsey Veteran

08-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #9

She's doin a little better right now. It's still there but she's more mobile. And everytime I tried to get a video it magically dissapeared..then came back everytime I turned the camera off.
I tried to show K last night and of course she didn't do it in front of him because he makes her nervous because she hasn't spent a lot of time with him. She ran and hid because she gets scared of people she's not familiar with (well anyone but me) and he was suggesting adrenaline could clear it up because that's what they gave him when he was a kid in the ER for asthma.
I really hope I can get a video or at least the vet will be able to tell. It'd be a shame if I went and she acted normal till we walked out.
She is able to lick up tone today no problem..last night she barely could. You could feel the congestion though as she was slurping it up. Kind of a popping feeling in her chest.
I'm gonna try all day to get a decent video.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #10

It does sound a bit like asthma Tink. Hope the vet can give her something tomorrow. If there's congestion the vet will be able to tell although a video would be a helpful thing to have of course.