Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

17-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #1

Rescue Cat

Hi

I'm still looking for a rescue cat, I thought it would be really easy as I hear there are many unwanted cats out there.
I went to see a couple from a local rescue charity only for various reasons they were not the right cats for me. I did feel awlful going to see them and then basically saying no. Only I wanted to get a cat that me and children all agreeed on as its a major decision.

Only I think the rescue centre must have taken it to heart as they said they would keep in touch with me and let me know of any other cats that come in, only I haven't heard from them since and that was over a month ago. Should I give them a call back or try and contact another rescue centre.

Any thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
17-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #2

Re: Rescue Cat

It probably wouldnt hurt to call them again, see if they have anything suitable now.
I also don't think it would hurt to try other rescue's as well. i am sure if one rings up saying they hve a cat and you have to say "sorry we got one from another rescue" that they arent going to mind, and you can always ring them if you do find another cat and ask to be taken off thier listings.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
18-07-2006, 07:39 AM   #3

I would try both ringing them back and trying any others - rescues are normally run by volunteers, so sadly with all the will in the world, phone calls will be forgotten, esp if they have a large number of cats in. It is very important to make sure you pick the right cat for your circumstances, so if you have to wait for that cat to come along, then you are best off waiting, and I doubt rescues will get offended if you turn down some of hte cats they have.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
18-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #4

I'd imagine most shelters will be very happy to have a "picky" customer - less chance of having to rehome the animal again! As long as it's not "Doesn't match my handbag"-type selection-criteria, which it clearly isn't in your case. Good for the kids to be that involved in picking the new family member as well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #5

This is an interesting thread.
I think you should make contact and go back again. A good shelter should be pleased that you do not take 'any cat'. I'm afraid there are not so good shelters, who don't seem to understand that.
It took 4 visits to the Blue Cross to find our late lurcher. The shelter manager was so pleased when we found him ..... she said I know he's got a good home, because you took the trouble to wait for him.

Good luck - your puss is out there.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
18-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #6

I agree phone back and wait until the right kitty comes along, you will know when! x