Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: semi longhaired
01-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #1

Gulping

My cat Oscar, he's 1yr old now, occasionally does really exaggerated swallows like a big gulp. There is no noise and he isnt sick or anything. I just wondered if there is a reason for it. Is he burping or just swallowing strangely? Its not when he is eating but normally when we are having a cuddle. He is longhaired so could that have anything to do with it? Is it anything i should be concerned about?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
01-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #2

Re: Gulping

Sounds as it may be a few long hairs that are trying to wander down his throat sideways. If it is, then there is nothing you can do about it except the usual grooming, which you'd already be busy with.
If he seems happy in himself, is eating well and you're only wondering not concerned, it's probably nothing. Ask the vet next time you are there anyways?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #3

Leia swallows from time to time, nothing to do with eating; she's done so for years. I forgot to ask the vet about it while I was last there, but don't think it can be anything too serious as she's done it forever and is in excellent health. I think it may be as suggested a stray hair or so in her throat, although she's groomed daily.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #4

Could it be due to excess salivation - his mouth is watering?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: semi longhaired
02-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice. He is eating and well in every other way so guess it cant be anything too serious. He was last wormed about a month ago. Ive never noticed him dribble at all so hard to know if he's salivating alot.