Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
06-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #1

Denis is avoiding me like the plague

Well it's worming time in our house and I have approached Denis with a childs medicine syringe with Panacur liquid....Can you guess the outcome?????

As Denis is a hissy, scratchy feral and gets so stressed out I have looked for alternative ways to worm him.
I refuse to give him a tablet as I couldn't be that cruel only for him to spit it out hours later. (with me cut to ribbons).

I used to use spot on wormer but after the scare of tremors I have changed my mind as I don't know if there would be long term damage to him.

So here we went with the liquid and syringe.

He hissed, growled, spat, clenched his jaw, dribbled, foamed and I managed to get 1ml in!!! I was at the ready with the cream cheese so he would lick away, swallowing and then taking the taste away but that only worked 3 times.

He has avoided me since but I will get another ml in before bed and then do 2 lots tomorrow.

Would this matter giving it to him like this??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #2

Re: Denis is avoiding me like the plague

Oh dear poor Denis and poor you too. I have no idea if it would matter or not but was just thinking, would you be able to mix the wormer with the cream cheese and simply get him to lick it off or maybe if the cheese is soft enough, get it all into the syringe???
I know of many people who have used primula cheese to give tablets to cats with out too much fuss.

Catsey Veteran

06-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #3

It is primula cheese but as soon as he smells the liquid he runs a mile...... don't know if it will all get into the syringe may have a go at that, are there worming injections???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #4

Oh ok. I dont know if there are any injectable wormers, sorry.

Catsey Veteran

06-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #5

Right I have just managed to get another ml in and my back has needle marks in where he climbed over me when I let go....He has been rewarded with turkey, can't be that upset as he is eating it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #6

I used the liquid liver-flavored wormer for Onyx, who would eat anything: just added it to the gravy in her tin of liver and chicken....

Have never wormed Leia as she doesn't go out, but I'm sure it would be a nightmare with her just as it is with Denis....

Catsey Veteran

06-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #7

I never know if I need to worm I was told not to as he is harnessed but as he occasionally catches voles and mice I thought it best to.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
06-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #8

I can sympathise with you BC, Leo is a nighmare, got the vet to do it when he was in for his dental!!!!