Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #1

People power

I live on a council estate now a lot of people down my road/cul de sac bit of the estate have lived here a while - new people can still be "new people"after they have been here 10 years
however last few years some of the older people have moved on/died.
Well there is a family moved in really nice not seen much of them anyhow night before last there were a few youths hanging about outside by their car - which is not normal really.
The chap went out to ask them not to lean on his car, words were spoken but the lads moved on the chap is not small.
Anyhow last night the lads/youths came back - mob handed- well in their eyes
I think they thought they were.

Wrong move in our road - instead of facing one chap and his wife the lads/youths (about 9 of them) were all of a sudden faced with - 35+ households men/ women - assorted ages with more coming out. The lads/youths were kept in one place as the police were called they were detained nicely of course
oh yes pictures were taken of them - by person/persons unknown
so we would all know who to look out for. And more importantly who to find if anything goes amiss in the near future.
not that it will. Of course they were obviously not expecting the response they got. The police officers thought it was hilarious (when the lads had been moved on and said "power to your elbow"

Tonight the new chap has been walking round thanking everyone. Now isn't that nice of him.

It is not normal for my road in any way shape or form I think if he had made clear to the lads he lived there they would have moved away.

Karen

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #2

Re: People power

That's really nice that you should all look out for each other in your road Kazz ......what a pity all neighbourhoods weren't like that

No wonder the newcomer was grateful to you all - I bet he had never come across anything like that before in his life! Not many hooligans would return to your road!

Catsey Veteran

12-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #3

Mags its neighbours, simply neighbours.
It takes a while but the newer people soon realise the benefits of being "seen/nosey" we have "street" games for the kids, you know cricket - rounders races. There is no reason everyone could not do it, all it takes is a couple of people to start it - surprising how much people want it.

Not saying we are perfect far from it but we are neighbours, "loaning tools/swopping plants etc" ice creams/ice pops for the kids in summer.
Looking after each others houses. I do the old chaps garden oposite, another chap further up cuts a womans hedge that sort of thing, neighbours thats all. Saying hello and smiling works wonders.
Neighbours.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
12-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #4

Wow! If only more of that could happen Karen. Can I move to your street please lol!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-06-2007, 11:37 PM   #5

Its lovely to find people like that Kazz, wish more places were the same.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #6

I don't know half the people in our road They all seem to go about their own business, some won't even say hello......

It must be lovely to have a community where everyone gets on well and mucks in together....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
12-06-2007, 11:42 PM   #7

Your neighbourhood sounds lovely. It's everyone pulling together that makes such a difference.

Catsey Veteran

12-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #8

No reason they can't be ladies. You live there so good chance you have nice people living by you. I don;t live in a posh/well to do area just a road that people "have become a unit" due to people smiling.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #9

Must admit, I have 2 neighbours, that all, but we all get on great and look out for each other...

Catsey Veteran

12-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #10

My road is NO different to yours any of yours honestly. Give it a try. Talk to people say Morning, or wait till Christmas and send a card out, or when you go away work out how many kids are near neighbours ( little ones you know) and bring rock back for them - works wonders. a little kindness