Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
20-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #1

What would you do.

I like to think I am quite logical and a realist, however I wonder if that is really true.

We have Deli, Tabatha and Misty in for their boosters tomorrow.

Deli is a 13 year old dalmation in liver failure, her liver enzymes are at least 10 times above normal.

Misty is a 20 year old cat in CRF.

Tabatha is a 14 year old cat, with FIV and a hyperthyroid, which is so out of control we are not sure how we are going to proceed- she is on the highest allowed dose of meds at the moment, but if her results are still high we have some decisions to make- do we risk and op or leave her.

Jess, our bun with an abscess is likely to have this as an ongoing problem, an isn't out of the woods yet with this one.

Anyway, the logical part of me says it is daft to continue vaccinating them, as realistically they don't have long left with us. The hopeful side says who knows how things will go and I would feel like I was giving up on them and no longer caring.
They will be vaccinated regardless, because I never give up hope, BUT what would you do!

I don't mean any judgements to be made here, but I'm interested as to how people think, I can see both sides as I've said.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
20-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #2

Re: What would you do.

Well me personally - I think it is even more important to vaccinate when your animals are getting older as they are more likely to getting viruses and not fight them off. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I didn't and one of them died through not getting them vaccinated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #3

My personal view is that we over vaccinate our pets. But tbh Louise I am really not sure what I'd do in your position.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #4

If the actual chemical makeup of the booster doesn't compromise their already dodgy physical situation, and I think a person would have to be able to trust their vet's advise on that unless they know about it themselves, then I'd go ahead and have it done.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #5

Hard decision, but I agree with Angie here .......

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
21-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #6

I'm not sure what I would do ... but Oli had an allergic reaction to his second year vaccination, so we had to stop him having them. Since, he has become quite ill and I feel quite guilty even though I know its not me preventing him from having the jab.

Goodluck with whatever decision you make. xx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Purebred Moggy
21-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #7

If the booster isn't going to make them worse I would go for it x

I have had no experience with any of those illnesses but at one point the vet thought two of our cats had FIV. It's horrible

Catsey Veteran

21-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #8

Well, the animal have had their vaccines. I spoke to the vet and he said that he felt it was more important to protect them from the diseases- especially Deli, who goes outside and we occasionally look after friends dogs and Tabatha being FIV positive has a lower immune system so needs more protection. He doesn't feel being in organ failure should cause any issues when they have been vaccinated regularly without a problem.

The great news is Deli's liver results have halved, we don't know why but it is such good news. Misty's bloods are pretty much the same, Tabatha's thyroid results will be sent off, but the vet has spoken to the company who make the meds she is on, and we can increase her dose a bit more if needed. He also mentioned a new medication which is an anti viral drug that goes in the food, so they are going to look into it for Tabatha. All in all, a good day.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
21-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #9

Not a chance Id vaccinate pets like that. I dont vaccinate after first kitten/puppy vaccs any more, way too many auto immune problems in pets caused by it.

Catsey Veteran

21-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #10

Have you looked into what the diseases can do!