Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
20-01-2006, 08:15 PM   #1

Quick update about my beautiful big boy Ninja :D

I think most of you, by now, have heard enough about Ninja to know he's very shy and skittish. Well, a while ago (about a week, I think, but I've been ill and unable to sleep so I could be very wrong!) he came streaking through the kitchen just as I turned away from the sink and I walked into him

Nobody got hurt, but feet are his all-time greatest fear. So he's been sitting in his safe place in the conservatory, near his exit from the house and his foodbowl, and not coming in (except for last night when I left the lounge to find him by the stairs - he did bolt, but it's still progress).

Dinahsmum suggested I try treats, so when I was in town on Tuesday I got him 3 different kinds (he seems to be allergic to the Whiskas ones - they make him vomit ) and I've been giving them to him in small increments once or twice a day, in his safe place in the conservatory. He wouldn't take them off my hand, so I'd put them next to him on his pillow, scritch his forehead and wander off to let him associate my coming with yummy nummy treats (chicken, seafood and catnip flavoured - I don't get that much variety!).

Just now I was in the conservatory to get milk, and he was in his safe place, so I reached over and spent about ten minutes scritching him all over. He loved it - kept turning new spots towards me to get scritched.

So when my hand got tired (I have to lean on a counter with my left while scritching him with my right - he's good at picking hard-to-reach boltholes) I went into the kitchen and got him some seafood treats. Only when I got back to the conservatory he'd moved onto a bunch of shelves and we were much closer to each other than I (or he!) expected, so he hissed at me when I walked in... Quite understandable really. I reached out the hand with treats in (he hisses when he's scared, but he's shown tremendous care about not hurting me, which just makes me go ) and he ate them right from my hand and then licked my hand clean

I'm so proud of him right now He's slowly overcoming his fear of humans. Now to get him into his carrying case for a vet checkup and his shots... Does anyone have a hockeymask I could borrow...?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #2

Re: Quick update about my beautiful big boy Ninja :D

I'm so pleased to hear you are making some progress with Ninja, Snoof....I'm sure with a lot of patience you will get there.

I don't hold out much hope with the cat carrier.....I'm still having trouble getting Cassie into hers after 8 years!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
20-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #3

i have to drug one of mine to get him to the vets but good luck with him. sounds like hes doing well.

Catsey Veteran

20-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #4

I'm thinking ham... Or chip-shop fish. Sigh

Edit: I'm now being laughed at because I said I would get it the night before (we have a walk-in vet clinic nearby between 10.30 and 11.30) and then microwave it in the morning because he prefers it warm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #5

Really pleased to hear Snoof is thawing!

Catsey Veteran

20-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Really pleased to hear Snoof is thawing!
I was never frozen!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #7

Aw ~ Snoof, excellent news about Ninja . . . it does indeed seem that you're making progress . . . I hope it continues even though it might be in small steps.

Oh, and don't mind DM . . . . sometimes she gets a little confused

*runs for cover . . . *

Catsey Veteran

20-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #8

Trust me, after living with my boyfriend, no amount of confusion really upsets me

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
20-01-2006, 10:41 PM   #9

That's great news, he's a lucky boy to have such a patient and understanding owner.

Re: cat carriers - I thought cats weren't supposed to be able to stick their legs out at right angles

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #10

Brilliant news Snoof, so pleased he is begining to trust you.......