Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
10-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #1

sunny saturday

Cold but sunny day here.
The works do went ok last night, at least i feel i made the effort. Woke up feeling a bit ill this morning, self inflicted i'm afraid I just can't take a lot of alcohol, no matter how hard i try
I'm off to a dolly friends house for a dolly day. Every year Roberta invites us and her house is filled with christmas deccies, it's like a winter wonderland. We all take a bit of food for a jacobs join and generaly have a good time.
Hope everyone has a nice day too

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #2

Re: sunny saturday

Hi Shelley - hope you enjoy your dolly day! Sounds like a song ..... "Little Dolly Daydream ...."

Sunny and cold here too. It got down to -4 last night, according to my computer! Monty was enjoying his walk so much, running about in the frosty grass that OH took him around twice! I went to pick up my new curtains and a parcel from the Post Office collection office. Curtains are already hung and look very good IMO. I also have a small Roman blind to hang, but that's a bit trickier and I need to Google so I know what I'm doing!

Temperature is dropping again, fire is lit and soon the curtains will be drawn against the cold. Wonder if we'll notice the difference?

Hope everyone is having a good day - I hear the sales have started already!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #3

-Hi, Shelley! Sorry you're feeling a bit morning-afterish, hope it'll wear off soon and you can have fun at your friends. Every time I think I'm comfortable with your expressions someone comes up with a new one: what's a jacobs join? Like a pot-luck?

Sunny and colder today, a bit after 10:30 AM and only 5℃ (41℉) and they say we'll finally have a frost tonight. Bye bye to the impatiens still flowering out front.

The building put up the tree last night, thought you might like to see it.

Hope everyone's well, two and four legs!

[/IMG]

Catsey Veteran

10-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #4

Hi, Angie, your post came while I was still typing, not ignoring you! Glad the curtains suit and that Monty is enjoying the cold!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
10-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #5

Hi all...

Overcast and foggy day mostly here - woke up to another smattering of snow. Enough that someone managed to throw a snowball mind - I know, as it landed against my window!!! I was a bit stunned - hadn't expected it, and I'm on the first floor. Cloud was fascinated!

Food has been in the slow cooker today. Not much else to comment on.

Oh - and I don't have a clue what a Jacobs Join is either Eileen - one of those terms I hadn't come across before...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #6

Jacobs interesting the two things I can think of is either Jacobs cream crackers; but I can't see a connection.
Or
In this case way it i described by Shelley maybe the connection is with the biblical Jacob, he of Jacob’s ladder. It might have some sort of connection to the fact his twin brother Esau sold his birthright to his twin brother Jacob for a mess of pottage (a dish of stew, in modern language)
Like a potluck yes Eileen maybe????????other than that I am baffled never heard the term however it could be very regional.

Catsey Veteran

10-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Jacobs interesting the two things I can think of is either Jacobs cream crackers; but I can't see a connection.
Or
In this case way it i described by Shelley maybe the connection is with the biblical Jacob, he of Jacob’s ladder. It might have some sort of connection to the fact his twin brother Esau sold his birthright to his twin brother Jacob for a mess of pottage (a dish of stew, in modern language)
Like a potluck yes Eileen maybe????????other than that I am baffled never heard the term however it could be very regional.
Kazz, aren't you clever ... curiosity got the better of me and Googled: here you are

Q From Ian Sanderson: Any help on the origin of the phrase Jacob’s join would be appreciated.
A Never mind whether anybody else finds World Wide Words valuable; for its author it is highly educational. I’d never encountered this term before, so had to investigate. Luckily, it is mentioned in two reference books, A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English, by Eric Partridge, and in Oops, Pardon Mrs Arden!, by Nigel Rees.
Eric Partridge describes it as “the eating equivalent of a bottle party”, in which each participant brings along as much food as he or she is likely to want to eat, but puts it into a common stock for the communal meal. (This was once common practice in rural or poor communities, and there were other names for it, such as the American potluck and Eric Partridge’s suggestion of faith supper in church circles. In Australia and New Zealand such gatherings were often advertised in terms like “Gents half-a-crown, ladies a plate”, with the intention, sometimes misunderstood by new immigrants, that the plate should have food on it!)
The term Jacob’s join is well known in and around Lancashire. Eric Partridge and Nigel Rees both record that people from that English county have told them about it. However, nobody seems to know where it comes from. This is hardly surprising: there are many such sayings, often with quite wide circulations, whose origins are totally obscure. In this case, the connection is presumably with the biblical Jacob, he of Jacob’s ladder. Could it refer to the mess of pottage (a dish of stew, in modern language) for which, the Bible tells us, Esau sold his birthright to his twin brother Jacob?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
10-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #8

sorry to baffle you all with the Jacobs join, i see it is apparently well known around Lancashire.The idea is evryone brings an item of food to share, you do get some interesting results. Better than Pobbies anyday
Had a lovely dolly time and Roberta's decorations are wonderful.
I like the picture of the tree , Eileen.
Glad your curtains look nice Angie and hope they keep the warmth in.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #9

Pobbies??????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
10-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #10

evening everyone, hope you are all well. I have been at my mums all day with my sister putting my mums christmas tree and have a catch up with my sister aswell.

We woke up to about an inch of snow this morning which was a bit unexpected! Thankfully its nearly all away now.