Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
09-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #1

indoor or outdoor cat

are your cats indoor or outdoor cats? and do you give them a choice?

also, what are everyones views on this

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
09-03-2006, 10:17 PM   #2

Re: indoor or outdoor cat

Mine can do whatever they want. Emily doesn't go out much. Smudge is always in & out! (Like a yo-yo)

Personally I wouldn't want a house cat. However I have experienced having one killed in a RTA so can understand why some people would choose to keep theirs inside, but it's not for me.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Moggie
09-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #3

erm.... perfer to keep them inside due to cars and other accidents but a outdoor to but would be worried all day

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
09-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Mine can do whatever they want. Emily doesn't go out much. Smudge is always in & out! (Like a yo-yo)

Personally I wouldn't want a house cat. However I have experienced having one killed in a RTA so can understand why some people would choose to keep theirs inside, but it's not for me.
This, although I have had inside cats as well, but I was somewhat forced by circumstance (moved somewhere else, found out later our neighbours' dogs ate cats and decided not to let the mogs out).

Additionally, Ninja becomes very unhappy when he's not allowed to come and go as he pleases. His behaviour has gotten incredibly much better since we started allowing it, it really improved dramatically immediately (then plateau'd for a few months before ameliorating again).

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
09-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #5

im a bit back and forth with it to be honest. Ive lost 4 cats and nearly a fifth to being hit by a car. 2 when we lived in an estate and 2 again when we lived in the country side.

i dont know if its more cruel to keep them in, or more cruel to let them out where they could be knocked over.
perhaps it just depends on each individual cats personality ?

just un decided about wether or not we should let our cat out when we get him. we are moving to an estate, but with a railway line close by and main roads 5 min drive out of the estate. im scared to death of losing another cat to roads
i used to think it was incredibly cruel to keep a cat indoors when their natural instincts tell them to go outside, but ive read that it can be ok depending on the cat and if u provide sufficient mental and physical stimulation

Catsey Junior

09-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #6

Hi my cats have the choose jack is out all the time and dougal would if he could spend all his time led in the door way half in half out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
09-03-2006, 10:58 PM   #7

Both my cats are kept in during the week when we are out to work, but we let them out at the weekends or when we are here. Bronwyn isn't very bothered about going outside but Arthur does love to go outside but he has adapted very well being kept in during the week days.

I would never now let my cats out when it is dark though, far far to many things to worry about.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
09-03-2006, 11:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny
im a bit back and forth with it to be honest. Ive lost 4 cats and nearly a fifth to being hit by a car. 2 when we lived in an estate and 2 again when we lived in the country side.

i dont know if its more cruel to keep them in, or more cruel to let them out where they could be knocked over.
perhaps it just depends on each individual cats personality ?

just un decided about wether or not we should let our cat out when we get him. we are moving to an estate, but with a railway line close by and main roads 5 min drive out of the estate. im scared to death of losing another cat to roads
i used to think it was incredibly cruel to keep a cat indoors when their natural instincts tell them to go outside, but ive read that it can be ok depending on the cat and if u provide sufficient mental and physical stimulation
Fred and Jake both needed to go out. They were cats who were ok being inside for most of the day, but they had to be outside for a few hours every day or they got really grouchy and violent. But when I had them we lived somewhere it was impossible for them to get to a road unless they climbed over a 3-story house somewhere. Dishrag, Manfish and Rajah were perfectly happy staying inside all day. Ninja rebelled terribly against being kept inside by refusing to poop in his litter tray - our hallway was his most regular victim. But he doesn't go far - he's either in our yard, in the yard a few houses down, or in between somewhere. We are, however, home all day, almost every day. The times when nobody is home are about 2 months between.

You'll have to see what the cat's like as he grows up

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-03-2006, 11:22 PM   #9

Hi Jen, welcome.

I have lost a cat Archie to a road accident but wouldn't keep mine in - although saying that I wouldn't have a cat and live on a main road so I choose to live places (since Archie) that I deem suitable for cats to have a chance my two love being out especialy Oscar in his younger days - he adored being out and about. Cleo has always been a home bird - never roaming far. Whereas Oz was always miles from homeso I suspect he would have done the same where ever we lived.

I'm no help am I sorry.

Karen

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-03-2006, 11:27 PM   #10

Cassie has access to the outside world but I always make sure she is in during the night....