Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
17-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #1

Eyesight

Just wondered what people thought about eyesight and when glasses are necessary??

I dont get headaches, use the pc most of the day at work and home, driving is fine, tv is fine, but what I do struggle with is reading ingredients labels on food packets... just cant read them if they are really small. Also small text in newspapers can cause a bit of a problem if there is a lot of close up writing etc.

Does this mean I need glasses, or not? Did go to opticians about a year/18 months ago and they said I was fine, but my colleagues are saying they have got it wrong.

Dont think my eyesight has changed since the last test, but dont want to waste their time going back if my eyesight was going to be classed as "normal" again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #2

Re: Eyesight

Welcome to the wonderful world of getting older Donna . Sorry - not meaning to be mean; it's just a fact of life. Actually, I think it's one of the very worst aspects and is a blimmin constant reminder of anno domini. Hair with 'natural highlights' I can cope with, 'character lines' on my face - well OK, body stays much the same with just a little care over diet and exercise but inability to read small print or shift focus from watching TV to looking at your watch. - Grrrrrr.
It's so inhibiting. It affects the things you say and it wasn't until I started with these new lenses that i realised it had taken the fun out of shopping - because I couldn't read the price labels .... does that say £35 or if I take it to the till am I going to be asked for £85? And can I sort out the coins in my purse in this trendy half light?
Sorry - I'm rambling!
The short answer is that your eyes are deteriorating. Start by keeping a pair of cheap specs in your kitchen, so you can read food packets. Then get 2 more pairs so you've one in your living room and one in the bedroom (These are about a fiver, fine for quick help - don't even think of using them for serious reading) It doesn't sound to me like you need another eye test at the mo but keep it under review, won't you?
After that you're into spec/lenses territory. I'll recommend ny new multifocal wear all the time lenses. Great - wake up being able to see, go to bed being able to see. They've taken 10 years off the way I feel.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #3

I wear glasses for distance and had an eye test last year when I got my new glasses. Everything was fine for close up distance then but recently I have found myself really struggling like yourslef to read close up stuff and have to put it out at arm's length. I must go back to the opticians as I am convinced that I now need reading glasses

The incident that really brought this home to me was a few weeks ago whilst in the supermarket, a very old gentleman asked me to read him the cooking instructions on a packet of frozen omelettes, I couldn't read it, it was very small and I felt such a fool as he could probably see it better than I I had to get one of the children to read it for him

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #4

I am an awkward one I am short sighted in one eye and long sighted in the other!! I need glasses for reading and I need glasses for cinema and TV so instead of having a pair for each I have varifocals.. I don't need them for going out and about though!

I agree with DM's suggestion Donna, get a pair of the cheaper glasses that are on sale in supermarkets and stores. Take something with vey small print with you to test as you will probably need to try a few pairs the find to right ones for your eyes. I can't see the point of you having to fork out a couple of hundred pounds when these cheaper ones will serve the purpose until your eyes get worse.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
17-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #5

Struggling with the small print really is one of the first signs I'm afraid! In my case I also discovered that if I held the newspaper at arms length, then the crossword grid was in focus but the clues were now too small to read

The problem with needing glasses for reading the small print was that I kept leaving them where I'd last used them and often forgot to put them in my bag before setting off for work.

Have you thought about trying Boots? They have a really good range of reading glasses and they're a sensible price.

Catsey Veteran

17-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I am an awkward one I am short sighted in one eye and long sighted in the other!! I need glasses for reading and I need glasses for cinema and TV so instead of having a pair for each I have varifocals.. I don't need them for going out and about though!
Mags - you sound a perfect candidate for contacts! I have a friend with very 'mismatched' eyes and she gets perfect vision using only one lens! Why don't you pluck up courage and get a trial?
Donna - I remember the frustration of feeling like you, that my sight was really poor for small print/close up and the optician seeming to be disinterested. If you get those 'enlargers' you will be amazed at the difference. You will prob pick up +2.5 or similar, feeling that your sight is that bad, but find that they are waaay too strong. Bet a +1 or +1.5 will make all the difference.

Global Moderator

17-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Mags - you sound a perfect candidate for contacts! I have a friend with very 'mismatched' eyes and she gets perfect vision using only one lens! Why don't you pluck up courage and get a trial?
I must be a wimp DM, the thought of putting something in my eye really puts me off!!

If you get an eyelash in your eye it is ok until it goes onto your pupil, then it hurts and you can't keep your eye open.....so........why is it you can put a lens onto your pupil and that doesn't hurt?

Catsey Veteran

17-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #8

They're so 'fragile' they're hardly there at all. I think they are over 95% water. If you can imagine jelly with just the tiniest hint of cling-film that's the nearest I can find to describe it. Would it help if the optician just gave you a lens to play with - not put anywhere near you eye - so you could see how 'gentle' it is?
First time I went, the optician put the lens in, obviously, and it gave even less sensation than having a drop of plain, pure, water splash in. And I looked across the shop and said - Wow - I can read the posters!

Global Moderator

17-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #9

I know you are obviously used to putting them in now but did you have any difficulty putting them in and taking them out when you first had them?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
17-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #10

I would love contacts, but the one time I had a trial of them I thought the optician was going to throw me out of his room lol, I jsut could not keep me eyes open every time he came near my eye with the lens! And my eyes water really badly when I put on things like mascara! If I win the lottery I am going to have laser eye treatment done, now that's the way to go!!