Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
15-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #1

Genealogy discoveries

I know a few others on here are researching their family trees and I wondered if any of you have discovered previously unknown (or unmentioned ) family stories that you feel you can share?

I discovered a terribly sad tale some time ago that I can only now bring myself to tell you about. I knew my maternal grandmother was not very "lucky" in raising babies but I was shocked at what I found in the 1911 census.

She and my grandfather had been married for 9 years and 6 babies had been born to them, but only 1 was still alive. 5 babies had died! I find it impossible to imagine the scale of the grief in this little family, how frightened she must have felt each time she found herself pregnant, believing that she would probably end up losing that baby too She was the wife of a coal miner in NE England and must have had such a hard life, a limited diet probably lacking some essential vitamins and minerals and no access to any form of family planning. In those days babies just happened as a natural consequence of married life.

The baby that was mentioned on that census did however survive and she went on to have 2 more babies, my mother and her younger brother. I wonder if she lost any more babies though?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #2

Re: Genealogy discoveries

That's a terribly sad tale MrsH. It's hard to imagine what life must have been like for the majority of people - there is a skill in interpreting the facts in order to understand what our ancestors were feeling.

I have come across a scandalous story of bigamy in the past of one branch of my own family history. It was in The Times - I'll see if I can make a slightly briefer note of the goings-on!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #3

Re: Genealogy discoveries

Fascinating, if sad, stories. I really should try to check my family again; never had much luck with sites as I'm lacking a lot of vital facts. My paternal grandma had 6 living children!