Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
27-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #1

Need moral support (ferret related)

Hey, guys.
ALL the kids are sick now.
They are basically sneezing and have congested noses with some clear discharge.
I'm calling the vet as soon as they open. Some of you may have read about Lainey and I don't know if it's related and I don't care I just want them to be better.
I've been providing round the clock care, pretty much living in their room. They have constant soup and pedialyte offered and Lainey and Baby Bear are getting their regular meds. I also have a plate of broth out too as I am just very scared you guys and I want to make sure everyone is hydrated.
I've been going crazy thinking and researching and such so I won't bore you with all my thoughts but I will say I believe it is the flu because it seems to be contagious and within the last two days everyone has been affected.
I know about complications like pneumonia and that is why I'm calling my vet and asking if we can just start antibiotics to prevent or whatnot.
I'd like to get the other three in at least, maybe all four. I'm having transportation issues though b/c I can't afford to put gas in my tank and K can only drive me on the weekends. My vet knows and trusts me so post dating checks for care is not a problem but I can't exactly post date a check for gasoline.
The good news is everyone is eating and poops look good.
Lainey tried to play today but started gasping and went and hid. The pred seems to be helping the "asthma" so it's not every five minutes but it's not gone completely, she's only been on Pred since Friday night so I don't know how fast that should kick in.
Baby Bear and MoMo were playing up until today. Now they are also seeming more tired.
Annie definitely has whatever this is but I don't know if it's because she is the youngest but she still plays very hard.
I'm thinking I'll try to get an appt. with Dr. Monroe on Saturday when K can drive me.
I'm gonna send an email to his mom and see if she will drive me too. Maybe I can get in earlier. I'm scared to wait till Saturday.
I keep second guessing is this serious or just a normal way a ferret has flu/cold as I've never had to deal with it before previously and I have nothing to compare it to to decide if it's "bad" or not.
Also, I might be losing my mind at this point but I swear the girls' pigmentation on their noses looks darker. Would that indicate anything? (Not a discharge, their actual nose color).
I'm gonna put a wanted ad on craigslist for a vaporizer too.
Just as a reference, Lainey had no fever and her white cells were normal and her chest xray came back all clear. So I'm hoping that means this is just a small thing everyone has.
I'm worried to death. They have these sneezing fits and I can't even tell who it's coming from when they're all in their hidey holes snoozing.
I would've called their vet earlier but my last contact with her was Friday night about Lainey and she is only open for a few hours on Saturday and closed on Sunday and it did not become apparent to me until Saturday night.
Would you all mind sending a prayer/vibes/thoughts?
I'd rather be overly careful and freaked out and be able to laugh it off later when they're better than shrug it off and it becomes very serious.
All four are infected with whatever this is.
I need moral support. I seriously think I will die if something happens to them, I couldn't take it. Especially all four at once? Now, I'm really scared.
Need a shoulder to lean on...
Freaked out,
Tink

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
27-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #2

Re: Need moral support (ferret related)

Good luck with the vet tink, hope it's nothing serious!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #3

Tink - you know your ferrets better than anyone and I would suggest that they probably all have a cold, or maybe, the 'flu. IF it was the flu, would they still be eating? If my past experience of flu is anything to go by, they wouldn't. I would therefore say they have a cold and of course Lainey has her asthma to complicate things. Yes, I'd phone the vet - you know each other well enough and I am sure if you tell her all the symptoms she may well be able to confirm cold/flu.

Do you have any ferret forums that you can get info/support from? I remember the wonderful one earlier this year with the birth of the kits - is there anyone on that or a similar forum you could "chat" to?

Take care Tink, don't panic - stay calm and don't look on the dark side. Of course, loads of healing vibes winging their way from me, Kizzy and Pip. Good Luck.

Catsey Veteran

27-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #4

Thank you. Yes, I'm on ferret forums but I only really get personal with one forum in particular where it is a close knit group and they are very kind. The others I do not trust as they can get nasty and I just don't like the negative energy.
Usually when I'm having personal issues, I tell that one forum and then hit up Catsey because you have all been very kind to me. If I need to vent or a shoulder to lean on those are the only two places I really let it all out

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #5

Oh Tink, I'm so sorry all the kids have it; prayers and vibes coming of course. It may be just something simple, but not knowing what it is and what to do is awful; I do hope you can get an earlier ride to the vets. Hang in there, you're doing the best you can for them; they'll be all right, God willing. You have had an AWFUL time lately, hope this is the end of the bad things happening (((hugs)))

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #6

Tink, fingers crossed your ferrets will be ok, I know you will always do your very best for any of your pets who are ill.

Healing vibes being set to them and comforting ((((hugs)))) to you..... x

Catsey Veteran

27-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #7

Thanks everyone *group hug*
Update:
Dr. Monroe is out today but Dr. Rabkin took my call. He wants to start everyone on Amoxi to prevent a secondary infection. Once I find a ride there, I will be getting it ASAP.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
27-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #8

Fingers crossed for that ride to hurry up xxx
Must be very stressful and worrying to know your animals are unwell and because of distances, not being able to get them help.

Hope you get them sorted soon and all go back to normal health xxxx

Catsey Veteran

27-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #9

K's mom is picking them up for me tomorrow morning and delivering them to me. I'm so not used to having a "support system" of family/friends. This is awesome!
Thank you for all your well wishes, we do appreciate it! <3

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #10

Good news, Tink, glad K's mom came to the rescue!