Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #1

War was declared on fleas today!

I gave Merlin his Capstar tablet last night. We have to be careful so that I can put his Frontline Spot-on after MIL has gone to bed. Otherwise, he will be on her lap and she will have stroked it off! Wonder whether that was why he got the fleas in the first place ...... we shall never really know.

Although I was prepared, it was quite harrowing watching him jumping and scratching as the fleas started to die - oh yes, there were quite a few, although not an infestation. After an hour or so, it had all calmed down and we all went to bed. Poor old Merlin must have been exhausted. He settled down on his fleece at the bottom of our bed and slept calmly and soundly all night, hardly even stirring. I have been using those sticky fluff rollers every day on the bed to make sure to get rid of any eggs and flea dirt and this morning picked up about 6 dead adult fleas - not that many.

I have blitzed the house with the vacuum cleaner and Acclaim and intend to give him his Frontline tonight. Poor cat seems just so tired and relaxed today. He hasn't eaten much and has been sleeping in warm sunny spots on the floor - he stayed away from warmth before presumably because it made those fleas hop. Horrid things - I hate them. And if the vet had acted when I first took him to the surgery, or if the Capstar tablets had been available earlier, he wouldn't have had to go through all this. I do feel guilty, if not totally responsible.

Now, here's the important question - would anyone know whether it is safe to use Frontline 24 hours after Capstar? I can't find any information about this on the net.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #2

Re: War was declared on fleas today!

Good to know you and Merlin won the flea war Angie As for using Fronline 24 hours after ......I've looked and can't find any information on the time span between application either.

To be on the safe side for Merlin's sake I would be inclined to phone your vet and get professional advice..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #3

I Googled with no joy; yes, ask the vet. Poor old dear, he must feel sooo much better with those awful things not hopping about on him! Please give him a nice chin-tickle for me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
20-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #4

oooh feel all itchy now lol. Glad poor Merlins feeling better now, bloody horrible things fleas.

Catsey Veteran

20-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #5

I have been looking at Capstar and Frontline product information. Neither have any contraindications for use with any other medication. My concern obviously is that although the Capstar has worked wonderfully well, it only kills adult fleas. Frontline (if it works properly) kills eggs and will help prevent reinfestation, coupled with my vacuuming and flea-spraying efforts.

Capstar can be used at the same time as Program, but Program and Frontline are 2 different insecticides!

(Of course, my local vet surgery is closed at the weekend!)

Catsey Veteran

20-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I have been looking at Capstar and Frontline product information. Neither have any contraindications for use with any other medication. My concern obviously is that although the Capstar has worked wonderfully well, it only kills adult fleas. Frontline (if it works properly) kills eggs and will help prevent reinfestation, coupled with my vacuuming and flea-spraying efforts.

Capstar can be used at the same time as Program, but Program and Frontline are 2 different insecticides!

(Of course, my local vet surgery is closed at the weekend!)
Isn't that always the way!?? Have you thought about PMing PinkLizzie; quite possible she might know......?

Catsey Veteran

20-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #7

Liz has PM'd me! What a sweetheart she is - all OK according to her vet drug book, so I am going to go ahead with the Frontline tonight.

Catsey Veteran

20-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #8

Wonderful! That's what I love about Catsey...people so willing to share knowledge and help! Thumbs up for Liz!

Catsey Veteran

21-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #9

Not sure whether the Capstar tablet disagreed with Merlin a bit yesterday, or whether it was just that he got a bit worked up about fleas and things .... but he couldn't keep his favourite salmon Felix supermeat down last night, so he had a fillet of white fish poached in a bit of milk, and kept that down fine. I am not blaming the Capstar - horrible to say but I'd almost rather his tummy is a bit upset but at least he is not going mad with scratching.

Today, I have put him on Sensitivity S/O Chicken or Duck with Rice. He has had 3 pouches today so far - no problem. He is obviously a hungry boy - will not touch this food if all is well with his tummy. Glad I had a box in stock of these sachets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #10

Glad all is going well.