Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
27-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #1

Emma's proposed new garden

So that I don't hijack Kazz's thread anymore here are the photos of my garden more or less as it is, I will be erecting a fence down both sides of the garden towards the end of the summer and I would like some borders (sort of cottage style) at the sides, any suggestions for plants etc VERY gratefully received, it looks like the weeping willow might have to go, as we think it is interfering with our drains

I would like to plant a silver birch and I really fancy a monkey puzzle tree (although due to the size this might have to go at the end of the garden) but I would still like to look over at the field.

The garage in time will be demolished and a new (we hope double garden erected) a bit further down the garden.

The garden measures approx 100ft x 49 ft) I would like the shed to stay where it is, although if I got a green house I would like to move the shed up the garden a bit, or to somewhere else.

We would like a pond and summer house in the garden somewhere.

I do not want the garden to look too "cut off" and would like it to look fairly "open".

pictures

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #2

Re: Emma's proposed new garden

I wish I had a garden like that Emma!!

Catsey Veteran

27-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #3

pretend you have Mags!!!! lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
27-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #4

This is absolutely not my thing! I am so un-green fingered it is embarrassing I like your garden just as it is Emma, the only thing I would do would be to grow some sort of small hedgerow at the rear of the garden

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
27-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #5

Emma, your garden is amazing!! As Fran says, looks great as it is, but if you want it to have that cottage garden feel, then plants such as lupins, delphiniums, foxgloves, digitalis, honeysuckle, lavender would be lovely.

Catsey Veteran

27-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
This is absolutely not my thing! I am so un-green fingered it is embarrassing I like your garden just as it is Emma, the only thing I would do would be to grow some sort of small hedgerow at the rear of the garden

hedgerow?? rear of the garden???? hey that would cut of my view of the fields, rabbits, foxes, deer etc!!!! lo

Thanks Kim, a lot of people like my garden as it is, but it really needs jazzing up a bit, and I love gardening, I also really need to get some colour in it!! as I have a lot of plants up in borders at the top of the bungalow that need moving to borders elsewhere, these need to be moved so I can reach my windows and give them a clean!!! lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
28-03-2007, 02:18 AM   #7

I've heard that the spines of the Monkey-puzzle tree are extremely sharp and nasty, and that you should get a male tree as the cones can weight 4-8 kg which you don't want falling on your head. True?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-03-2007, 10:47 AM   #8

You've got a perfect blank canvas there Emma. It might even be worth paying £40 or so to get a plan designed? However, I did ours just by drawing a scale plan and playing around with it. It was useful going upstairs and looking out and I used canes to show proposed boundaries etc. Good luck.

PS - monkey puzzle - mmmm, not my taste and I believe they grow quickly and mercilessly. Might be worth researching a smaller variety?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
28-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #9

Ohhh this is heaven simply heaven.

I have to agree with DM I spend hours laying out canes and as marker then running in and looking at them for every angle And laying out the borders with either hosepips or snad on the lawn will give you an idea what shape you want and then where you have say the borer coming out - then find some plant you want to have on the bit that comes in and put a broomstick withsomething as wide as your eventual plant will be and put that out giving you an idea of the width then look again in case it cuts off a view.

I think birchs look nice in groups of 3's and the shade they cast is not a lot and they are lovely trees. Planting now or late autumn. Not sure I would plant tree's after May day as they drink loads.

I wonder if you could cut the willow down and use the trunk as a base of a table or working table/bench for the garden? just a thought.

Catsey Veteran

28-03-2007, 08:26 PM   #10

I have always loved Monkey Puzzles, I know they can grow very big, but on my walk to the next village I saw one that had been "shaped" it was really nice, next time I go I will take my camera with me.

The trouble with the bungalow Kazz is that I haven't got an "upstairs" to look at the garden from, sometimes the garden doesn't look very big, but I know that putting in some borders will change that.

Good idea about planting the birches in 3's.

When I come to start on the garden Kazz, I have a very nice garden centre (independant) just down the road to me so if you fancy a visit