Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #1

Indoor only cats...

How do those of you that keep your cats as indoor only cats manage during the hot weather with regards to opening windows? Our kitchen window pushes outwards, hubby had it slightly open when he was putting my new kitchen in and I caught Mildred in the act pushing it open further and making a bid for freedom Luckily I caught her in time and hubby has now fitted some hooks and eyes so that it can only open a small way and can not be pushed further. I think we are probably going to have to fit the same to some of the other windows as summer approaches but I just wondered how other people cope??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #2

Re: Indoor only cats...

I think you might need to look at screens, like people in the US and Oz etc use? They're really to keep insects out but I think they would keep cats in too.
Difficult problem.
And I think you're right about a hot summer

Catsey Veteran

17-04-2007, 10:34 AM   #3

Yes hubby suggested that he might make some sort of mesh frames to fit inside the actual window frame or outside it not sure which but the hooks and eyes mean that you can still have a 'normal' window appearance but does limit you to how far you can open the window obviously. We've even had to put a lock on the pantry door as Ria can open it and I am sure she is eyeing up the very back of it as a suitable place to have her babies These Meezers really are something else!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
17-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #4

We have kept Bluebell in quite a lot whilst she was growing up (only been out really when we're there to watch her) & it has driven me mad to be honest. thankfully she now goes in & out like a "big girl" so it's much easier.
can't really offer any advice Fran, the only thing I thought of was - do you have room for a run outdoors for them? not for all of the time, but just occasionally, maybe then they could have some playtime in the run & you can give your house a good airing with the windows open.

How many of yours are indor only Fran? is it 4?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: dsh
17-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #5

thats a good question. i live on the 2nd floor so i get really paranoid.i have sash windows,i think thats what they are called mine are open a teeny weeny bit. im thinking of getting a air cooler. i have a fan but ftrightened to use it in case they go near it what do you think? would they be ok with a fan? its a stand up one about 4 foot.

Catsey Veteran

17-04-2007, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
can't really offer any advice Fran, the only thing I thought of was - do you have room for a run outdoors for them? not for all of the time, but just occasionally, maybe then they could have some playtime in the run & you can give your house a good airing with the windows open.

How many of yours are indor only Fran? is it 4?
Yes it's 4 indoor only cats. My cat run is more or less finished but plans have changed and the run has to come down as Hubby has decided he is building Tom a bedroom at the top of the garden. Tom's bedroom is rather small, we do not want the expense and unpheaval of an extension as we don't think we will stop here for ever, so hubby has come up with this solution which Tom thinks is ace, he's already planning his 'house warming' At the end of the day he is old enough to leave home next year so this will give him a little bit of privacy and independance whilst still being able to enjoy home comforts

Catsey Veteran

17-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGS
thats a good question. i live on the 2nd floor so i get really paranoid.i have sash windows,i think thats what they are called mine are open a teeny weeny bit. im thinking of getting a air cooler. i have a fan but ftrightened to use it in case they go near it what do you think? would they be ok with a fan? its a stand up one about 4 foot.

Fans are usually well covered so that they can't get their paws in aren't they? I have a ceiling fan in the living room but only tend to use a desktop fan in the bedrooms in the height of summer, that was of course before I got the Meezers

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: dsh
17-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #8

maybe i should try the fan. im just a worrier where my boys are concerned

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
17-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #9

Fran, zooplus sell some kind of window guards/screens so that you can have the windows open and the cats can't escape. There is also something on that website that Whiskey recommended on my other thread. I'll find a link in a mo.

Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest - sorry.

Oh, I do have a fan in my bedroom and it's perfectly cat-safe! It's one of those tower fans and there is nothing that they can get their paws into!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
17-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #10

https://www.skymall.com/shopping/det...248712&c=10720

They call it a "window-mounted cat porch" - but I think it's just something that you stick in/through the open window!!! lol