Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
09-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #1

Missing Wolf

How on earth was this allowed to happen!!?? This is what the Dangerous Wild Animals Act is in place for. Surely someone must have known this person was keeping a wolf? What's in store for this poor beautiful animal now?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_...st/8246326.stm

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
09-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #2

Re: Missing Wolf

Lol....a trained wolf is no more dangerous than a Huskie dog...You are allowed to keep a wolf as a pet in the UK, as long as you apply for a licence!!!!
This news report is from Ireland where they do not allow licences for wolves...
This wolf is in more danger from the silly ignorant people...
The call for freedom is strong in wolves and Huskies, thats why they run off at every chance they get, the main reason they make difficult pets to handle...
I hope this wolf is caught safely and given to the wolf man to take care of.

Banned

09-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCat
How on earth was this allowed to happen!!?? This is what the Dangerous Wild Animals Act is in place for. Surely someone must have known this person was keeping a wolf? What's in store for this poor beautiful animal now?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_...st/8246326.stm
Wolves and Huskies are very similar looking, and hard to tell apart, so people may have assumed it was a Huskie that this person was keeping...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
10-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman999
Wolves and Huskies are very similar looking, and hard to tell apart, so people may have assumed it was a Huskie that this person was keeping...
I'm sorry wolves are very different to Siberian Huskies, in looks, temperament and behaviour. A wolf, even tamed/trained, will always be very unpredictable, a Husky is a domesticated animal, a wolf is not.

Banned

10-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
I'm sorry wolves are very different to Siberian Huskies, in looks, temperament and behaviour. A wolf, even tamed/trained, will always be very unpredictable, a Husky is a domesticated animal, a wolf is not.
WRONG!!!!!! My sister has two 'SIBERIAN HUSKIES' that she has shown at crufts and are well trained. Her male friend has wolves, and when they are out walking them together, to a lay person like me (not a dog person) theY are very hard to tell apart!!!!
And FYI, Huskies no matter how well trained retain that call of the wild that wolves have, and THEY will run for freedom every now and again, and also remain unpredictable...
In fact Huskies will never be a fully domesticated animal
The public are at no more danger from a domesticated wolf than they are a huskie dog lol...
I will call me sister for more info, and post later
Again, like the RSPCA thread, misinformation is a dangerous thing RANDOM....

Catsey Veteran

10-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
WRONG!!!!!! My sister has two 'SIBERIAN HUSKIES' that she has shown at crufts and are well trained. Her male friend has wolves, and when they are out walking them together, to a lay person like me (not a dog person) theY are very hard to tell apart!!!!
And FYI, Huskies no matter how well trained retain that call of the wild that wolves have, and THEY will run for freedom every now and again, and also remain unpredictable...
In fact Huskies will never be a fully domesticated animal
The public are at no more danger from a domesticated wolf than they are a huskie dog lol...
I will call me sister for more info, and post later
Again, like the RSPCA thread, misinformation is a dangerous thing RANDOM....
Oh there is no need to get arsey really is there, I know a LOT of huskies and a LOT of husky owners and Mal owners and many of the other northern breeds. Also, if you know of someone keeping wolves well anyone in those breeds of dogs knows what kind of circles they go about in but I won't be getting into the NI/BI/Ute/Czech/Sarloos debate on here. Wolves are wild animals, Huskies are domesticated. Yes they do still run because that is their instinct, it's what they are bred for, the same as any other breed of dog, a hound will sniff, a gundog will hunt, a collie will herd, a springer will flush, e.t.c, e.t.c. There are lots of breeds who will run, Shiba inu's, Mals, even some breeds of hound. So no, I am not misinformed, rather you are if you cannot tell a Siberian Husky from a wolf. Anyone who keeps a wolf as a pet is looking for trouble, a Sibe is a perfectly acceptable pet given the right owner, same as any breed.

I don't profess to be an expert by any means, but I do know my dogs.

Banned

10-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Oh there is no need to get arsey really is there, I know a LOT of huskies and a LOT of husky owners and Mal owners and many of the other northern breeds. Also, if you know of someone keeping wolves well anyone in those breeds of dogs knows what kind of circles they go about in but I won't be getting into the NI/BI/Ute/Czech/Sarloos debate on here. Wolves are wild animals, Huskies are domesticated. Yes they do still run because that is their instinct, it's what they are bred for, the same as any other breed of dog, a hound will sniff, a gundog will hunt, a collie will herd, a springer will flush, e.t.c, e.t.c. There are lots of breeds who will run, Shiba inu's, Mals, even some breeds of hound. So no, I am not misinformed, rather you are if you cannot tell a Siberian Husky from a wolf. Anyone who keeps a wolf as a pet is looking for trouble, a Sibe is a perfectly acceptable pet given the right owner, same as any breed.

I don't profess to be an expert by any means, but I do know my dogs.
I was not being the rude name you called me
As i explained I am not a dog person! And to me a wolf is very similar in looks to a huskie. So other people could easily not make the distinction of the two. And my sisters male friend has a licence to keep his 4 wolves. He has a free holding and thats where he keeps them. Not in a built up area!!!
And he does not breed from them either. So does not run in the circles, you are accusing him of
Lol, I just tell it like it is. Some people don't like that!
I am soooo sorry if I am not a closed minded person, and can see both sides to a story.
People saying a lone domesticated wolf is danger, could get the beautiful creature shot/killed

Catsey Veteran

10-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #8

Quote:
I was not being the rude name you called me
As i explained I am not a dog person! And to me a wolf is very similar in looks to a huskie. So other people could easily not make the distinction of the two. And my sisters male friend has a licence to keep his 4 wolves. He has a free holding and thats where he keeps them. Not in a built up area!!!
And he does not breed from them either. So does not run in the circles, you are accusing him of
Lol, I just tell it like it is. Some people don't like that!
I am soooo sorry if I am not a closed minded person, and can see both sides to a story.
People saying a lone domesticated wolf is danger, could get the beautiful creature shot/killed
I didn't say he bred them but why anyone would want to keep a wolf as a pet is beyond me and such people tend to stick together.

I'm sorry I can't agree with you, a wolf is a wolf, no matter how well trained it is still unpredictable and cannot be trusted. A husky is a dog and if well trained and does get loose, it's likely to be caught without hurting anyone. Of course the wolf may not hurt anyone either but it is a wild animal and is on par with bringing up a tiger or lion from a cub. It's not a good idea.

If the wolf is shot it is the sole fault of said owner and a prime example why they should never be kept as pets! Very sad of course but that's what happens when people do silly things like this!

Banned

10-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #9

Quote:
I didn't say he bred them but why anyone would want to keep a wolf as a pet is beyond me and such people tend to stick together.

I'm sorry I can't agree with you, a wolf is a wolf, no matter how well trained it is still unpredictable and cannot be trusted. A husky is a dog and if well trained and does get loose, it's likely to be caught without hurting anyone. Of course the wolf may not hurt anyone either but it is a wild animal and is on par with bringing up a tiger or lion from a cub. It's not a good idea.

If the wolf is shot it is the sole fault of said owner and a prime example why they should never be kept as pets! Very sad of course but that's what happens when people do silly things like this!
I agree, I asked him why? Why didn't he just have Huskies like my sis....
But he loves wolves... (big difference than keeping a lion pmsl)...
And the authorities know he has them (they are allowed in the UK with a special licence).
I understand where you are coming from, there are soooo many other lovely breeds of dogs he could have had!
You have siamese cats (my mum had one, gorgeous lilac point) you must like that breed... My sisters friend prefers wolves cos he likes that animal. He lives in the country, I doubt he would have got the licence if he lived in town/city.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #10

My former neighbor, Dr. Michael Fox, the vet, had a tame wolf that he had rescued as the only surviving cub from the litter of a deceased mother. He was allowed to do this because of his professional qualifications; I'm uncertain about the laws here about keeping them but think it's not permitted generally. Anyhow, the point of this is, that as a definite non-dog person, the first time I met him out walking with the (then adult) wolf, Tiny, I thought she was a dog. She was extremely friendly. Shortly after, he moved away so don't know what happened to her.