Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
14-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

Advice Dylan related

He's coming here at the end of next month, we've got everything he'll need sorted out (apart from his bedtime cat run)

He doesn't travel at all well (sounds like he's being murdered in the car) so I was wondering if there's anything I can get my brother to give him the day he comes here? and what's the best way of getting him settled in when he arrives?

We'll be keeping him in an upstairs bedroom (he's a bit nervous of younger brother so we need to take the reintroduction slower than we did in yorkshire)

Any advice that I can start on before Dylan's through the front door?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #2

Re: Advice Dylan related

Rescue remedy, a few drops rubbed into the ear tips and tell your brother to turn the radio up while driving .
How long is the journey?
As for settling him in, feliway diffuser in his room as well as an old t-shirt or something of yours.
I'm sure he will be just fine.

Catsey Veteran

14-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Rescue remedy, a few drops rubbed into the ear tips and tell your brother to turn the radio up while driving .
How long is the journey?
As for settling him in, feliway diffuser in his room as well as an old t-shirt or something of yours.
I'm sure he will be just fine.
It's a two hour journey, don't know whether feliway would work because when we used it to stop him spraying he took to spraying on the feliway diffuser

He leaves smelly presents in his carrier and gets quite distressed in the car even for short journeys (the vets here are within easy walking distance, made sure of that before coming)

I don't think it's nerves with him, because in the carrier if I'm walking to the vets with him he'll curl up and got to sleep

Catsey Veteran

14-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #4

Might be an idea to ask the vet about a sedative or something maybe.....
As for his arrival in new home, make it as familiar as possible for him, all his things, some things of yours, some boxes to hide and play in etc.....

Catsey Veteran

14-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Might be an idea to ask the vet about a sedative or something maybe.....
As for his arrival in new home, make it as familiar as possible for him, all his things, some things of yours, some boxes to hide and play in etc.....
Thanks Elaine, his sock will be here (don't ask!) and his toys (all smelling of his previous home)

How do I update his microchip details, insurance etc? Do I just phone them up or what?

Catsey Veteran

14-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #6

Yes just call them and give them new details.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #7

Hope all goes well with the move for Dylan, I think a sedative for the journey might be a good idea if the vet approves.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #8

When I picked Myshka up from Kazz it was about a 2 hour journey and he yowled the whole way! He was confused and cross at being locked in the carrier but not distressed so although he was loud I wasn't too concerned.

I think the sedative from the vet is a good idea . . . just make sure Dylan's tested to make sure there is no adverse reaction if he's not had it before.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
15-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #9

In terms of sedation, it's unlikely the vet will be able to give you anything for a journey, some sedatives will make them vomit (not good on a journey) and anything that knocks them out will mean they need to be very closely monitored.
I'd maybe ask for some zylkene? We used it when we moved house with Imogen-it's a natural product which mimics the 'blissed out' feeling that puppies and kittens get when feeding from mum. It comes in capsules that you sprinkle on food and can be given a few days before the journey, on the day and then afterwards to help him settle in.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
When I picked Myshka up from Kazz it was about a 2 hour journey and he yowled the whole way! He was confused and cross at being locked in the carrier but not distressed so although he was loud I wasn't too concerned.

I think the sedative from the vet is a good idea . . . just make sure Dylan's tested to make sure there is no adverse reaction if he's not had it before.

Yes I remember still contemplating who to complain to you or Alex.....very loud for a small cat.

I think you are stuck with the noise....I think its caused by the motion of the vehicle.