Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
30-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #1

When to let a kitten outdoors?

My kitten has only been with us for 4 days but he is quite confident and adventurous and sits watching the "great outdoors" for hours bless him! He is not yet vaccinated or neutered (he is 16 weeks).. I am going to get all these things done in about 4-6 weeks when he is old enough for neutering and when I have saved up the money for the vaccinations (£75 aaaargh!)..

.. am I right in assuming I SHOULD NOT let him out until all those things have been done?

(Sorry I think this is very naive to be asking, I think I am right but just want to double check - thanks!!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Mogs/Siamese/Orientals
Tom is Male
30-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #2

Re: When to let a kitten outdoors?

I would probably say keep him in until he has had them done just to be safe really

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
30-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #3

Glad that you're enjoying having a kitten, they're fascinating to watch and play with and it's so easy to spend hours and hours this way!

About going outside, I would certainly wait quite some time yet, at least until after his injections have taken effect. Is there no way you can manage the money for the injections sooner rather than later? You may be running the risk of him venturing outside anyway, slipping out of the door, and picking up potentially fatal diseases.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
30-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #4

I wouldn't let them out until they are about 7 months old - that way they have had all their injections and been neutered.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
30-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #5

I'd keep him in till he's had his vax and neutered too. You could take him out in ypour arms now, so he can look around and not be terrified when the big day comes. Once he's had his vax, he could go out as long as you're there to watch him and call him back.
PS - vax shouldn't be as much as £75......... or is that vax + neuter?

Catsey Senior

30-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #6

Yes I think I agree with you all, definitely will wait. He is not exactly pining to go out, just seems really keen that's all!

And yes I have been quoted £75 for kitten vaccinations, that does not include anything else, just the vaccinations - perhaps I should "shop around" (if that's possible with vets?!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
30-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #7

Definitely needs keeping in until after he has had a full course of vaccinations. That does seem very steep for a course of vaccs, I'd definitely shop around!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
30-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #8

£75!!!!!!! That's waaaaay expensive. I mean the vet beside me only charges £32 for a full course and at the moment is doing them for the price of a booster, £21!

Catsey Senior

30-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
£75!!!!!!! That's waaaaay expensive. I mean the vet beside me only charges £32 for a full course and at the moment is doing them for the price of a booster, £21!
YOU ARE JOKING????? Gosh I wonder why my vets are so pricey then.. and I got 2 quotes (both £75) how bizarre.. I will continue to look around then, it sounds as though I may have been misquoted.. gosh I could gather together £30 odd pounds much much quicker!

Catsey Senior

30-07-2007, 09:52 PM   #10

Hmm I wonder which vaccinations are required? Here are the prices.. I assume I would need flu, enteritus and leukaemia - what do you all think?

Complete kitten course of vaccinations (Flu, Enteritis & Leukaemia): £74.00

Complete kitten course of vaccinations (Flu & Enteritis): £41.50

Complete kitten course of vaccinations (Leukaemia): £38.00