Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #1

Fussy puss wood based cat litter

I am new to wood based cat litters, so i Dont know about them.
Is this a good make one or a cheap make?
I am trying it cos Miss Princess fussy butt wont use catsan. She doing doo doo's on my carpet, so now my entire hallway, upstairs and down, and the stairs themselves, are covered in newspaper.
I thought i would put the litter tray (spare one) in the corner she uses most often, and slowly move it bit by bit to where the other one is, see if i can get her going in it that way.

I hope this wood based stuff is better than catsan though, it's a lot more expensive, was 2.99 for a tiny bag, which is about a quarter the size of catsan i get for 3.99. but if it is good then it's well worth it.

Also mylocal pet shop dont stck but can order me 2kg of james well beloved for 9.99, seems a fair price.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #2

Re: Fussy puss wood based cat litter

Don't know that one.
Use Tesco Premium Cat Litter - Wood based. 10litre packs - can't remember the price, sorry. It's more than £1.99 I'm sure - maybe £5.99?
I like it - not sure if the cats do. I think it may be a bit tough on their feet.I like the way it turns to sawdust once it's been damped, so you can see when it needs chucking, and I like the vague 'pine' scent, to mask others.

Catsey Veteran

24-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #3

I didnt even look if this was scented or not. Dont get to tesco often cos ther enot one in our town ( there not much here really) but will get hubby to take a look.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #4

It's not 'scented' as such - just has a natural faint wood smell.

Catsey Veteran

24-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #5

well thanks for heading me in the direction of teccos ( as we call it in our house, from when ryan was a toddler and couldnt say tesco)

I'll certainly take a look next time i am there.
thinking about it wood stuff must be good cos wood green animal shelter use it

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
24-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #6

the rescue I foster for provide this, but I can't use it in the tray in the front room, cos one of the cats (haven't discovered which one yet) will go behind the TV to poo rather than use the tray that is next to the TV (and they have to get past my barricades!!). This has happened twice when I have used wood based downstairs - if it is in the bathroom tray, then they will poo in it. I think they pay about £5-£6 for a 30l bag - I know my local pet shop charge more for that than they do Sophisticat, and I have a hoover where you just empty the bag and reuse it, and the sawdust really irritates my nose.

Did you ever find out if you could order through Smylees without a card CJ? Only they do James Wellbeloved at 7.25/7.99 (fish varieties being more expensive) or 5kg for 15.99. I have been paying 9.99 for it as well. THey also do 2kg of Hilife biscuits (only place that stock it as HiLife don't make bags that size) for £6.99 - the ingredients are good on that as well.

Catsey Veteran

24-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #7

I totally forgot to look at that BT, thanks for remingind me though. The rescue get the wood litter quite cehap then, si that cos they get a special price do you know?
Nobody has used it yet and it been down since about 11am!!! i'll check smylees out while i think of it