Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
05-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #1

What do your cats like hunting?

When your cats go out hunting, what are they most likely to bring back?

Dylan likes bringing back rats, moles and rabbits mainly. Mice he doesn't do (he finds them boring)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
05-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #2

Re: What do your cats like hunting?

Hmm. Well mine don't go out on a regular basis but one time Hestia got out and brought me back a bird. She was very proud of herself and I was horrified
Inside the house, moths are a huge hit around here if that counts for anything

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
05-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #3

They stalk but rarely catch birds, I don't think our current cats have ever brought a bird into the house but any they have caught (a pigeon once) are left in the garden. They're rather partial to mice and bring them indoors fairly regularly and in early Spring they get very excited about frogs, I'm sure they've never eaten one but they love playing with them and making them squeak! One day we had to remove 8 frogs from the kitchen and hallway, not all at once I hasten to add In fact I'm not sure that it wasn't the same daft frog 8 times!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
05-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #4

Well, Harry tries to hunt, but I have never seen him catch anyting (he is 2 and a half now), he meows and makes a racket when he prowls so I don't think that helps!!!

Lola has never brought anything home, but I have seen her hunting things in the Garden.

Vinnie hunts all the time, he once brought me a young black bird and he was so proud of it but it was still very much alive, so I took it off him and it was ok, so I didn't let him out of the house for the rest of the day and released it into the neighbours garden. That day Vinnie was a very angry boy, he told me off and then didn't talk to me for a couple of days. Now, he leaves his presents (always birds ) on the doorstep for me, he doen't bring them in!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
05-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #5

My best 'hunter' was my first cat Shanti. He brought me home birds, mice, baby rabbits, empty crisp bags or milk cartons. But best of all he brought me home Smudge as a tiny 3 or 4 week old kitted covered in mud and very cold. What a star!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #6

Kizzy and Pip are into rodents in a big way - mice, voles and shrews. They also catch birds, much to my horror. Pip likes spiders and both he and Kizzy like to catch anything that flits about, flies, butterflies, moths. Pip is going to LOVE daddy-longlegs when they start hatching.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby with ginger & a black & white
05-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #7

The dogs LOL!!

Bhindi only goes out with the dogs in the garden but she will pounce on flying insects of any description when she does.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #8

Leia's an indoor cat, but has killed one rat and innumerable mice that have gotten indoors (there is one mouse here now that she has NOT caught!! ). She does not do flies at all, nor moths.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
05-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #9

Tom and Jerry catch Mice, occasionaly they eat them, i know because i find a tiny organ on the drive, the gall bladder i think. They are not agile enough to catch birds. Tom also hunts imaginary creatures that live around the architraves. He runs up the hallway and suddenly leaps up for them. As far as i know he hasn't caught one yet

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Fluffy. Calico cat.
08-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #10

I worked for a vet once whos cat brought home a roasted turkey breast ... on Christmas day!!!!!