Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #1

Synulox 50mg tablets

Does anyone know if synulox 50 mg tablets can cause vomiting? I've tried googling and can't find anything relevant. Merlin has been on these tablets since last Saturday and has vomited 3 times so far today. It seems like bits of grass/fur but I just want to be sure that the tablets are not irritating his stomach. I myself have to be careful with certain antibiotics (for humans that is!). Thanks in advance.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
16-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #2

Re: Synulox 50mg tablets

Angie, I think any antibiotics can cause vomiting and/or diarrhoea. I'd ring your vets and let them know. It's possible that they'll change the antibiotics. Hope he feels a bit better soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
16-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #3

Synulox is a very common, widely used, mild antibiotic. I'm not aware of any reason why it should cause a cat to vomit, but I'd give the vets a call to check.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
16-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #4

Phone the vets and check. But does it say in the "instuctions" what the side effcts are.

But I imagine anything could cause an upset stomach I myself get a severe upset stomach if I take asprin.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
16-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #5

Ive given both Simon and Guinness them and sometimes they do vomit. A couple of years ago i had to give a friends cat george them and every time he vomited them back up as well.

jane

Catsey Veteran

16-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #6

There's nothing about possible vomiting on the packet. He is not vomiting the pill straight back again - the vomiting happened quite a long time after his last pill which was given this morning after his breakfast. I shall give him another one before his late supper - he has 3 or 4 smaller meals per day, being an old cat, and see what happens. If he is sick overnight I'll probably pop into the vets on my way home from Italian tomorrow. The cyst has gone right down (blasted thing) and otherwise he seems much happier in himself. I've been bathing it too and he did actually try and bite me tonight, which I am taking as a good sign!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
16-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #7

This is all I could find doing a search for Synulox condraindications

Synulox Palatable Tablets 50 mg and 250 mg: Contra-indications, warnings, etc

Synulox Palatable Tablets 50 mg and 250 mg
Contra-indications, warnings, etc
For animal treatment only. Synulox Palatable Tablets should not be given to rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters or gerbils. Caution is advised in their use in any other very small herbivores.
Operator warning
Penicillins and cephalosporins may cause hypersensitivity (allergy) following injection, inhalation, ingestion or skin contact. Hypersensitivity to penicillins may lead to cross reaction to cephalosporins and vice-versa. Allergic reaction to these substances may occasionally be serious.
Do not handle this product if you know you are sensitised, or if you have been advised not to work with such preparations. Wash hands after use.
Handle this product with great care to avoid exposure, taking all recommended precautions.
If you develop symptoms following exposure such as skin rash, you should seek medical advice and show the doctor this warning. Swelling of the face, lips or eyes or difficulty with breathing are more serious symptoms, and may require urgent medical attention

Catsey Veteran

16-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #8

That's what it says on my packet Smudgley. Nothing about may cause vomiting ..............

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #9

I hope his late supper stays down, Angie, and that he can avoid the dreaded vet visit. A good sign about the cyst, and that he's feeling feisty enough to try to bite you! Hugs to you and a gentle cuddle to the dear boy!

Catsey Veteran

16-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #10

Thanks Eileen. I have to say that he smells a lot nicer too. Had a lovely nose in coat cuddle tonight (before he bit me!)