Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
04-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #1

Hyperthyroism treatment? Poorly cat in need of some..

My cat has just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, vet said 'highest reading she's ever seen' She is 14.5 y.old and currently on antibiotics for anal gland probs. Vet said if she can get over this (not responding too well to antibiotics at mo) and put her on beta blockers to slow her hyperthyroidic heart down a bit (currently 220 bpm) we can consider treating her. The options are: 1) Radiation injections and 1 months's stay at treatment centre, on her own, with 'gold star treatment' and daily shots of minute radiation treatment; approx 1.5k tops, apparently no side effects and she goes home in a month. The second option is an op to remove her anal glands, risky, but her glands are removed never to bother her again I assume. Costs are expensive for both as I don't have that much, and radiation treatment is 3-400 difference but I won't let money come into it when it comes to what's doing what's best for her. She prefers to be with me, but would probably cope for a month on her own in that respect. It would be the going out she would miss (and snuggling up to me at night) as she is an independent madam and loves her freedom. The question is has ANYONE had experience of EITHER that they can share with me as this is all all a huge learning curve and when the time comes I want to make an informed decision. I have had a cat with hyperT before but this treatment just wasn't around then. Thanks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
04-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #2

Re: Hyperthyroism treatment? Poorly cat in need of some..

Why is it a risky op to remove her anal glands?

Catsey Senior

04-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #3

I have read it is quite an op, and no op comes without risks. She was hit by a car when she was 10 months and had an op to stitch her up, doesn't take to drugs too well, plus there is the fact that her kidneys have to cope with the anaesthetic? I am prefering with the op option at present cos it just seems that the problem is gone once the glands are removed, plus I don't know enough re the radiation treatment (and feel like I'd be sending her to prison for a month!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #4

There are members who have cats with thyroid problems
I'm sure they'll find this thread and chat with you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
04-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #5

Obviously all operations have risks and at her age there are added risks.

I have no experience of radiation but have read about it / seen it on TV - it wouldn't be my ideal solution.

I have however experienced cat and dogs with anal gland problems / removal and several cats with hyperytyroid problems.

From what you've said the operation to remove the anal glands would be my choice, however be guided by your vet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #6

My cat, Sasha had hyperthyroidism and had the op to remove her thyroid gland, It has worked vey successfully. I claimed for the operation on her pet insurance and they paid out, no problem.

When I was a volunteer at a local animal sanctuary I took in a very elderly cat who I suspected had hyperthyroidism, blood tests confirmed thisk but the vet felt she was too old and frail to operate. She was treated with medication, with only limited success. I have no experience of the radiation treatment and this was never offered as an option.

Good luck whatever you decide. x

Catsey Senior

04-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #7

Anal glands and thyroid removed, as the two are problems, and have both been picked up within a week more or less together! (I was getting nowhere with my previous vet so the 2nd opinion picked it all up).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
04-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #8

Hi, I have 4 cats with hyperthyroidism, and all are being controlled by medication. I am surprised you vet wants to treat you cat with beta blockers to slow the heart down before an op. Usually the thyroid medication is used to stabilse the cat before an op. There are various kinds of medication- felimazole (1 tablet twice daily) and vidalta (1 tablet once daily) as well as a few others. They reduce the thyroid levels- 2 of my cats have registered 300 before treatment and are now within the normal range within 2 weeks. An overactive thyroid puts stress on the whole animal's system, so it is not just the heart that needs to be thought about. If you decide to go for the op, please ensure your vet knows what they are doing. The parathyroid glands lie very close to the thyroid, and if they are accidentally removed it can be very serious- even life threatening.

Catsey Senior

05-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #9

I have declined the tablets as I saw what they did to my last cat; nausea, diarrhoea, and generally looking 'out of it' and spaced out. At this stage the vet just wants to heal the tear on her bottom and she is not coping too well on the antibiotics for this at the mo, so we have agreed that further tablets (for thyroid) are definitely out, it would be too much for her as she is going thru enough. Both the vet and I agree we must move fast on this on once her bottom heals but we can only take one step at a time. I have faith in this vet, she is not stupid, she has a good 'bedside manner' and it was her I asked to come out to the house to put my 2 boys to sleep when their time came. I hope we can pull my little girl thru this one.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
05-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #10

Hiya, sorry to hear your puss is so poorly......

I've had 2 cats with hyperthyroidism. The first one had a partial removal of the thyroid gland, she was fine for a couple of years but then the condition returned and she went on medication. The second one we just went straight for the medication as she was that bit older and given the experience with the first one we were reluctant to go for surgery. Both were fine on the medication.

I'm wondering if your previous cat was getting the correct dose of medication, as the symptoms you describe could be due to hyperthyroidism so maybe the dose wasn't high enough? It can be quite difficult to get the dosage right and the amount needed can change over time so regular blood tests are usually done to monitor the thyroid levels.

Whatever you decide, I do wish you and your puss all the best.x