Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
26-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #1

Hacking cough

Yesterday evening Dylan was on my bed and suddenly developed a hacking cough! I brought him downstairs (carrying him because it was the only way to get him downstairs for us to help him even though he hates getting picked up - gets frightened a little) and after I'd got him in the sitting room he appeared to cough up into his throat whatever was bothering him and swallow it.

He hasn't repeated it and I keep him well groomed (once or twice a week for a very short shorthair cat). Does anyone know what may have caused his sudden hairball? He was lying on his tummy on the bed when it started.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #2

Re: Hacking cough

It's quite alarming when they chuck a hairball isn't it? Merlin looks as if he's going to chuck his entire insides out.

Dylan may have got something else caught, other than a hairball and whatever it was, it's lucky he managed to get it up - shame he swallowed because you'll never really know - although thinking about it, if it was a hairball I doubt if he would have swallowed it. (Does that make sense?)

Catsey Veteran

26-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
It's quite alarming when they chuck a hairball isn't it? Merlin looks as if he's going to chuck his entire insides out.

Dylan may have got something else caught, other than a hairball and whatever it was, it's lucky he managed to get it up - shame he swallowed because you'll never really know - although thinking about it, if it was a hairball I doubt if he would have swallowed it. (Does that make sense?)
I can't think what it was if it wasn't a hairball, because at the time of starting to cough he'd had his mouth closed and was purring his heart out (I was stroking him at the time)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #4

Yes, makes sense to me. I've never known a cat to swallow a fur ball either, it always comes out the front end! It may have been a bit of food stuck in his windpipe. I'd probably not worry unless he does it again. I groom Leia every night; not that she really needs it being shorthaired, butt she looks forward to it...bonding session.

Catsey Veteran

26-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Yes, makes sense to me. I've never known a cat to swallow a fur ball either, it always comes out the front end! It may have been a bit of food stuck in his windpipe. I'd probably not worry unless he does it again. I groom Leia every night; not that she really needs it being shorthaired, butt she looks forward to it...bonding session.
So if he does it again it's time to panic

I hope he won't do it again although I have known Beauty to somehow swallow either a furball or a lot of fur (that was part of what caused the first lump in her bladder if you all remember from a thread a while ago)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #6

Could be a hairball, you could get some hairball remedy from your vet. However, I notice you are in Yorkshire?? According to our dog trainer, kennel cough is really rife around these parts at the minute and Bordatella that causes kennel cough is transmissible to cats. So just a thought if it persists and doesn't settle with hairball remedy or the expulsion of hairball. Obviously this would be unlikely if you don't have dogs or contact wth dogs. Hope all goes well for your cat.

Catsey Veteran

27-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Could be a hairball, you could get some hairball remedy from your vet. However, I notice you are in Yorkshire?? According to our dog trainer, kennel cough is really rife around these parts at the minute and Bordatella that causes kennel cough is transmissible to cats. So just a thought if it persists and doesn't settle with hairball remedy or the expulsion of hairball. Obviously this would be unlikely if you don't have dogs or contact wth dogs. Hope all goes well for your cat.
We don't have any dogs, but there are dogs at college (not sure if any of them are inoculated or not )

He hasn't coughed at all since I posted, sneezed once (and that was earlier on today) but is purrfectly normal behaving.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies!
28-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #8

i had this same this morning but Lola actually had a treat stuck in her throat! i panicked didnt know what to do but she eventually got it dislodged and then drank a bit of water to wash it down, she was fine before i left for work but its still horrible to see!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #9

This may sound weird, but is there anything similar to the Heimlich maneuver that could be used in a case like that?

Catsey Veteran

13-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #10

It happened a couple more times since I posted about it, we think it's either Dylan eating his food too fast or cat milk that's the problem.