Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
24-03-2007, 11:30 AM   #11

Re: what would you do

I have to agree with Fran's method of giving tablets. It is what I use with all mine and have never had any problems.
Do you have a PDSA near you that would perhaps do the op for a donation? Worth looking into under the circumstances. Fingers crossed for Millie.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
24-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #12

Hi John, so sorry to hear of Millie's diagnosis and your predicament. I adopted a very elderly cat from the animal sanctuary where I was a volunteer, she was poorly and I suspected hyperthyroidism. This was confirmed and she did well on medication. Surgery wasn't an option given her age.

Perhaps you could try the medication and see how she gets on and consider surgery if it doesn't work well. I too understand about not having too much money! The vets may accept monthly payments from you. Worth discussing all the options. Would Mille not qualify from treatment from the PDSA? If you decide on medication, you will be able to buy her medication from an online pharmacy such as vet medic. Most medication is cheaper here than from your vet and your vet is obliged to give you a free prescription for the meds.

Please keep us updated.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
24-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #13

Hi John

In the case of medicating I usually wait till the furries have settle then walk up to them give them a clap then pop the pill down the back of their throats and close their mouths and rub their throats till they swallow.

Ask you vet if he will allow a DD from yopur bank with a weekly amount to pay off the bill if the Operation is a must... I too am short on money but my vets are great when it comes to paying for emergency treatments and such...

All the best and blessings to Millie xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #14

Hi John - you'll work out your own best method of pill-giving. I think it depends a lot on the character of the cat for I have had success with each of the techniques described, with different cats.
Items to hide pills in, if that works out to be your favourite way - ham, chicken, hard cheese, cheese spread, dab of butter, fish paste.
Good luck, and I hope surgery isn't necessary. I agree with those who have said that you might say to the vet that you would prefer to avoid surgery if at all possible.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
24-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #15

Thank you all for your replys..Millie is a picky eater she will eat a little then walk away so I would not know if she had eaten the bit with the pill in ..I have tried the pill in a piece of cheese / ham that did not work either < eat round it and left the pill > I will try and get one of those devices mentioned by Yola and see how I get on..there is a PDSA near me but as I have a small private pension and do not recieve any benifits they will charge..the vet said a monthly supply of pills is £14 and Millie would have to have regular checkups..long term it would seem to be better to have the operation and see if they will take regular monthly payments..no matter which way I go every time I Take her back and they want to do a blood check its still another £25 ..still I love her very much so I will have to see how we get on..once again thank you all for your replys ,,,John

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
24-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #16

Hiya John. If you are set on the operation, please check with your vet that the problem won't recur even after the op. As I said earlier, it did with mine. It might be that things have moved on since then, but as I understood it, only part of the thyroid gland was removed. What happened with mine was that the remaining thyroid gradually started to compensate and eventually produced the same amount of thyroxine as before.

Once they were stabilised, which took a couple of blood tests, they then only had to be tested once a year - not even that sometimes, as the vet could assess them by their weight and heartbeat rate.

Don't want to put you off doing what you think is best - as I say surgery has possibly moved on since then - just want to make sure you have as much info as possible before making a decision.

Sammy.xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
25-03-2007, 12:00 AM   #17

John, this is so difficult for you as it is obvious that you love Millie and want the best for her despite it being financially dificult for you. As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, it is possible to buy mediaction cheaper over the internet with a prescription from your vet that they have to supply you free of charge. Another thought here... Before you make any decisions r.e. surgery or long term meds, could you possibly seek a second opinion from another vet?

Good luck John and please let us know how Millie goes on x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
25-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #18

Good luck with whatever you decide John!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
25-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Good luck with whatever you decide John!
I second that, John. Only you really know what's best for you and Millie. Good luck.

xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-03-2007, 01:47 AM   #20

And the same from me, John! Love to you and Millie; let us know how things are going.....