Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
23-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #1

what would you do

I took Millie to the vets today,for annual check up also she has not been very well for sometime..the vet says Millie has a thyroid problem and to give her one tablet a day for two weeks then take her back cost for injection .consultation. tablets etc. £107..the vet also said she would probable have to have the thyroid removed cost £280. plus... Millie is 11 years old I am retired and live on my own I have no pet insurance
question..what would you do in the circumstances..and whats the best way of giving tablets

John

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
23-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #2

Re: what would you do

Best way of giving tablets is to hide them in a piece of cheese or her food if she has wet. As to the other dilemma, I know how you feel with problems like that John, as I don't have a lot of money either! Has the vet said she definitely has to have it out? If he has ask when he would estimate it to be done, and start trying to pay a little bit a week onto account and try and save up to have it done. If it's not an emergency procedure then that might help, otherwise I don't know what else to suggest.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
23-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #3

I would hide the tablet in some food if she will take them that way. Is it possible to keep her on tablet and not have the operation? if so that might be an idea. also it might give you a chance to save up the money.
I have known cats who have had the operation live for many happy years afterwardds. So haviong a thyroid problem shouldn't be the end for Millie.

Hope some other people can offer there advices as well

Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
23-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #4

Hi John, what sad and upsetting news for you You can try administering the tablets as the others have suggested hidden in food. I personally prefer to wrap the cat up in a towel, making sure all limbs are well wrapped in then open the mouth and pop the pill to the back of the mouth towards the throat, close the mouth and rub throat until the cat has swallowed the tablet.

Regarding the op. In your position, I would ask the vet what the prognosis is following surgery. 11 years old is not really an elderly cat in todays terms so if the outlook was good after surgery then perhaps the vet would allow you to pay by installments? If the op didn't have a great success rate then perhaps, the vet may be willing to discuss what other options there are for Millie.

Please let us know how Millie goes on x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #5

John - sorry to hear of your predicament. A good way of pilling a cat is by using a special device which is available from the vet for a few pounds - it effecitvely fires the tablet into the back of their throat; painless, effortless and relatively stress-free.

As for the op . . . as others have said, make sure it is absoutely necessary at this point in time otherwise try to schedule it for when you know you might be in a position to fund it.

Also, maybe your vet would accept stage payments? Some do, although it is becoming less frequent sadly.

Good luck to you and Millie . . .

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
23-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #6

Hi John,

I've had two cats with overactive thyroids in the past. The first one was operated on, but sadly the problem recurred, which I understand is not unusual, so she had to go back on the tablets. The second one, being more elderly, we decided against the op, and she stabilised very well on tablets.

I would definitely ask your vet whether it is possible for her to be treated just with the tablets. It may take a month or two to get the dosage right, and this does involve blood tests, but once she is stable the tablets are not very expensive. Three years ago they only worked out at around £8 per two months.

My second cat, bless her, became so used to being tabletted that she practically opened her mouth for me as soon as I put her next to me on the sofa!

Hope this helps, and let us know how you get on.

Sammy.xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #7

Sound advice above, John. I'm very sad to hear about Millie; this is so distressing for you. She just might stabilize on the tablets: my friend's cat was diagnosed with thyroid disease at about 11 years; she's on tablets and has to go to the vets every so often for blood work and to have her dosage checked...Kate is 16 now and in good shape. Please let us know what you decide and what the vet says about the surgery. (((hugs))).

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #8

Lots of good advice for you above John, I hope Millie's condition can be controlled by tablets alone. It must be worrying for you and I hope your vet will be able to sort something out with you regarding payments.

Please let us know how you get on.....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Siamese.Maine Coon. moggies
23-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #9

Thomas was 10 years old when he had his thyroid operation. It was a success in that he lived another 5 1/2 years, although for the last 6 months he did have to take the tablets again.
Although I seem to remember his operation cost no more than £100, and his tablets only cost a few pounds per month, which is a whole lot different to the the quote you have been given. We seem to be fairly lucky with our vets fees up here.
For me, it was worth it for those extra years it gave him

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
23-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #10

Hi John, I'm afraid that I'm not able to add any advice to that already given, but I did want to say that I hope you and Millie can sort something out soon.

Good luck with tableting her too!! Personally, my cats won't take tablets "disguised" in food and will only take them if I use Fran's technique or Yola's device mentioned above!!!

Keep us posted.