Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
15-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #11

Re: Advice needed

Bump...............What are you going to do????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
15-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #12

I dont want to put a dampner on this for you Soupie and think you have had some good advice but...........
A trial period may be fine but it can take more than a few weeks for cats to accept one another. I am not trying to put a doom and gloom over this as I love nothing more than for people who genuinely love and care for cats to have as many as they can deal with. I just think that sometimes you have to air on the side of caution a little, weigh up the pro's and cons.
What if they dont get on? Would you be able to cope with 6 months of intros between them? It can sometimes take that long.
I know many people here havent had too many problems with introducing cats to other existing cats in the house hold and it seems to me that the more you have, sometimes the easier it is but talking from personal experience, it did take us 6 months to introduce Bernie into the home successfully. There were times when it was quite stressful and Graham wanted to give up but I persisted and we got there in the end. Not something I would rush into again in a hurry but if we had more space and our own garden etc I probably would go for it
Good luck, whatever you decide and I hope it works out well xxx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Lilac point Siamese
15-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #13

If you do end up getting a new cat, dont forget to pay more attention to Pousse then the new cat. When my sister got a new kitten I kept going to see the new kitten and leaving my Lily outside the room. Lily would meow at me to come out and she knew I was with the new kitten. When we finally let the new kitten out to the rest of the house (Lily and the new kitten seeing each other face to face for the first time) Lily had a problem with the kitten. Anytime Lily was with me and the kitten came around Lily would kiss and bat at the kitten. So just never forget to give lots of attention to Pousse, otherwise it might take a little longer for the new cat to be accepted.

Lily did eventually warm up to the new cat.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
16-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #14

I agree with Elaine - I find it takes longer than a few weeks to properly integrate another cat in. I have found in the past all in all it takes a year for everything to settle back down as it was. Felix has now settled in (as best as hes going to!) with all the cats apart from Lao but I'm not stressing about it they need to find their own common ground - I know they will eventually!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
17-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #15

Thanks for all the advice

Elaine I do see your point about being cautious but I am concerned about Pousse as now she has settled in she seems lonely and actively appears to "miss" company when I am at work. I am aware it may take some time to get a new cat settled and am prepared to put that time in as I believe it will be a benefit to Pousse - obviously I can't know for sure - I don't think anyone can but I had always intended to have two cats when I started looking in January. All I can do is try.

I have agreed to take on one of the cats but have gone for the slightly older cat - a 20 month neutered black male Selkirk Rex with a good show record. The breeder I am having the cat from is not a stranger to me and we have had a good discussion about the possible issues and her cats and Pousse and which is likely to settle better. Pousse will of course be top cat and get most attention and that side of it I should be able to handle fine as I remember how George my cat of a lifetime had to be cared for when we got the kittens and I have done it with George and 6 other different cats

Thank you again everyone I really appreciate people taking the time to reply - I hope I have made the right decision - time will tell!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #16

All the very best to you, Pousse and the new comer xxx
With cats, I think it can be very hard to judge just how they will get along and or react to a new comer which is why I said to be cautous.
Sounds to me though that you are taking all the ifs and buts seriously (dont mean to sound patronising).
Wishing you all the very best and I DO hope it all goes smoothly for every one concerned xxx

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
17-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #17

Hope it all works out let us knwo how is goes.

Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
17-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #18

Let us know how you get on, and hope it all goes smoothly!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #19

Sounds as if you've done your homework and have done this before, so hope it goes very well and that Pousse will be happy with a feline friend for company! Do let us know how it goes!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #20

I hope Pousse will accept the newcomer fairly quickly when you get him Soupie, it will be interesting to hear if if she gains more confidence with a playmate ....... good luck when the big day arrives!