Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
20-12-2005, 08:21 PM   #1

cat allergys

got my future son in law coming to visit this week,and hes so alergic to cats,hes sneezes face swells up,eyes water, ive said to my daught to get some clartyn antihistimes,do they work,hope so. ill vac all round the house,chairs ect, anything else anyone can suggest??

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2005, 08:22 PM   #2

Re: cat allergys

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys mum
got my future son in law coming to visit this week,and hes so alergic to cats,hes sneezes face swells up,eyes water, ive said to my daught to get some clartyn antihistimes,do they work,hope so. ill vac all round the house,chairs ect, anything else anyone can suggest??
ps i could make him sit in the car with a flask couldnt i???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-12-2005, 08:28 PM   #3

You can get wipes (Tesco have them, or Boots or P@H & lots of others) I think they're called PetalWipes, and you go over the cats with them and they remove a lot of the 'dander' (spit/skin cells etc) which produce the allergic reaction. Might be worth a try - sounds as though he has a pretty bad allergy.
Other than that - lots of vacuuming for your OH (well you can't do it, can you?) and maybe Piriton or similar for your visitor.

Good luck - if you use the wipes let us know how you get on.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #4

BM, I have the same problem with my S-I-L....everytime he visits his eyes go red and sore and he continually sneezes. He takes antihistimins from the doc but they don't help at all The funny thing is they used to have a cat and he was fine with it, he also had no problems with our pevious cat.....so I don't know what it is about poor Cassie that affects him I've told him to put a dab of vaseline in each nostril, like they do with hay fever, to see if that will help. Other than that, when we sit down to our Christmas lunch I'll put him on the doorstep with a turkey sandwich

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-12-2005, 08:32 PM   #5

.....found this link http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...132&pf_id=5234
Can't find the Petalwipes link - maybe they've stopped making them. I have seen them at Tesco. I'll go google again

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #6

Try and keep him in a room that has minimal soft furnishings. I have a friend with a VERY allergic husband and we sit in the basement that has wooden floors, wooden shutters and dining chairs with rush matting seats. Needless to say the room is cleaned top to bottom prior to any visit.

Although it doesn't remove the problem completely it goes a long way towards helping!!

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Try and keep him in a room that has minimal soft furnishings. I have a friend with a VERY allergic husband and we sit in the basement that has wooden floors, wooden shutters and dining chairs with rush matting seats. Needless to say the room is cleaned top to bottom prior to any visit.

Although it doesn't remove the problem completely it goes a long way towards helping!!
ill sit him in the bathroom then we wont be in here for long will be off to the pub, then on for some shopping

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
20-12-2005, 09:44 PM   #8

I didnt realise until too late that my son, Sean, has an allergy towards cats. Although it is not so bad that I will get rid of the cats! He has piriton occassionally. Its the soft furnishings that affect him the most - have a couple of faux fur throws that the cats love so i have to wash them a lot. Also lots of hoovering and dusting.

Think the wipes are ok. But cant be used just once, as the dander etc will have all fallen off and gone on carpets, sofas, chairs, sides etc. They ok if you use them regularly.

Catsey Veteran

20-12-2005, 10:08 PM   #9

well ill just have to shut the cats away,while hes here.as they are bound to want to climb on his lap u know what little devils cats can be get OH to hoover loads,and tell him not to breath so deeply

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
20-12-2005, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys mum
well ill just have to shut the cats away,while hes here.as they are bound to want to climb on his lap u know what little devils cats can be get OH to hoover loads,and tell him not to breath so deeply
Why dont you hire a spaceman's outfit for the day????????