Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
11-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #1

Fencing help.

I have bought "prikka strips" and gone round the whole garden, Scooter now does the "bed of nails walk" to get out! I tried inverted fencing to keep Darcy in, but this didnt work, he scaled a brick wall instead! Do any of you know if there is a type of fencing that I can use at the top of mine, to act as inverted fencing? I thought of cut down trellis, but then thought the Cats might get their head through, anyone any ideas?
Dawn.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #2

Re: Fencing help.

Sorry can't help you Dawn but I will be interested to hear what ideas people come up with.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
11-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #3

my neighbour tried everything to keep my cats outta her garden and nothing worked,they used to sit by her window taunting her
i had a good mind to throw cat nip seeds in her cargen b4 we moved but never got round to it

Global Moderator

11-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #4

Dawn.....here is a link Azz posted a few months ago, it may give you some ideas......http://www.woodycoon.com/html/cat-proof_fencing.html

.....and this is the thread it came from...
http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/s...hlight=fencing

Hope this helps......

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
11-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #5

I thought the fencing in the link mags posted looked like a good idea, because its flimsy the cats won't risk trying to climb it, (wouldn't put it past mine though)!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
11-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #6

Sorry can't help as I don't have this prob but good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #7

Found this whilst mooching around the web the other day.
Haven't actually read it - but the pics looked good
Hope it may help.
I would def. use some sort of enclosure if I lived on a busy road - on the other hand all our houses have been bought (partly) for being cat-friendly
http://www.purrfectfence.co.uk/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
11-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #8

Hi Dawn,

I have been thinking of this problem for a while. I dont have any people being horrible to my cats but that nasty bully cat that keeps on lurking.

Anyway a few doors down from me I did notice a construction being built over the summer. (Not sure if they have had problems with said cat as well)Not sure what sort of garden you have, but mine is about 35' long and a rectangular shape so fairly easy to do in my garden.

They basically put posts all along the garden about 8ft high on both side then joined the posts together across the garden basically forming roof joists. They have then covered the whole construction with chicken wire or mesh where it needs to be more flexible and completely covered the WHOLE garden. I could do this in mine, but it would cost a fair bit in materials and I would have to pay for a builder/carpenter to do it for me. So not sure if this is good enough for me.

Hope my description gives you a picture.

Another idea I was thinking of would be to add thinner slats of wood (maybe bamboo canes) along the fencing on the posts all along the garden and attaching a netting kind of material that is flexible so the cats might not want to climb it. This could be a couple of feet higher than the solid fence and could be in a fairly clear/neutral colour so not too obtrusive. Could look like a trellis kind of addition to the fence, but would be flexible so the cats wouldnt like it.

HOpe this helps.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
11-01-2006, 08:01 PM   #9

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated. I think what Donna has said an the cat proof fencing linked to the other thread are about the same and what I think I will go for, I will let you know how I get on. I want "Wiggy" to be an indoor Cat, but I cant see me keeping the back door closed if we hit 30 degrees again later this year.
Dawn.

Global Moderator

11-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #10

I hope you are able to sort something out Dawn......