Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
21-01-2006, 12:19 AM   #1

Pillow washing.

Ok, my recent spate of picture-taking has shown me just how grody Ninja's pillow is. I'm considering washing it.

However, his pillow resides in his safe place, and I'm worried that if I wash it he'll feel displaced and... I don't know, violated. Is that silly, or could it happen? What if I got him a new catbed (it'd have to be an open one, as at the moment his safe place is the only place I can pet him) so I can swap them out when one's in the wash?

I know cats have a much better sense of smell than humans do, and I'm worried that if it stops smelling like him, he'll stop feeling safe there. On the other hand, that was his safe place before I decided to put his pillow there, so maybe it's less about the pillow and more about the spot.

Ideas? Advice? I'm hoping to do all the changing of stuff and the vet visit as soon as possible, so he has lots of time to recover and adapt before we can start the ball rolling on kittens, if they still seem like a viable idea by then.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
21-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #2

Re: Pillow washing.

How about placing a nice blanket or something over the pillow for a day or so, so as it too will have his smell. Then you can remove the pillow for washing and kitty can have a nice new cozy blanket.

Catsey Veteran

21-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #3

I can't believe that hadn't occurred to me... I even have a blue fleece baby blanket that used to be my son's but is waaaay too small for him now.

Yay, thanks!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
21-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #4

That was a problem solved in a flash!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
21-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
How about placing a nice blanket or something over the pillow for a day or so, so as it too will have his smell. Then you can remove the pillow for washing and kitty can have a nice new cozy blanket.
Good thinking Elaine

Catsey Veteran

29-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #6

Sorry for bringing this zombie thread back from the dead. I've just given Ninja his new blankie (I couldn't find the bloody thing, my housemate appears here every few months for the sole purpose of Moving Stuff For No Reason...) as it was dry after being washed.

He has decided it's the root of all evil. While it's kind of funny - they're sharing his pillow, grudgingly, both facing in opposite directions - it's also kind of AAARRRRGH. I wanted him to love the blankie so it could work as a comfort object on his vet visit

I think I'm going to postpone till Tuesday or Wednesday to see if that's long enough for him to learn to love it.

Edit: Ok, he's as scared of blankets as he is of feet.

I just want to go out and punch everyone who's ever been mean to a cat. It seems ridiculous, but I'm on the verge of tears over this. He's a young cat (about 2 now). He should not be afraid of people, or of feet, or of blankets. How ridiculous is this? He's so lovely and he's been treated so shoddily he's an emotional mess.

I'm going to go remove all trace of the blanket and put out some treats for him for when he comes back in. This is just depressing the hell out of me.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #7

Aww I'm sure he will love his new blanket Snoof!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
29-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #8

Sure he will get used to his new blanket in a few days Snoof....

Catsey Veteran

29-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #9

I went back before I edited to look at it and when I put my hand near the blanket, he freaked and ran outside.

I suspect at some point someone caught him by catching him in a towel or some blanket-like object, possibly to get him into the rescue as he is very skittish and I doubt he would've allowed them to just take him.

Ah well, I'll have to find something else.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #10

Snoof, why don't you rub the blanket over you or even sit on it......if Ninja can pick up your scent on it he may not mind it so much...