Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 moggie/2 ragdolls/1 britishshorth
29-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #1

kittens

i am thinging of getting another kitten?but i would like to get a siberian kitten this time.
do's anyone know what they are like?i know they look cute what i seen on the web.and would love one.

ann

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #2

Re: kittens

I'm afraid I don't know anything about them Ann but I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you some information soon...

Catsey Veteran

29-01-2006, 02:58 PM   #3

i dont know anything about them either, never even seen one

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
29-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #4

All I know is that they are very pretty

http://www.siberian-cat-club.co.uk/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
29-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #5

GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Siberian Cat is a medium to large semi-longhaired cat, solid with “heft” rather than rangy. The most important features are head type and coat quality. The overall impression should be of a cat with substance and rounded contours. Larger animals are preferred, though females will be somewhat smaller than males, but overall type is the overriding factor. The Siberian has a very distinctive weatherproof coat unique to the breed, and, as the breed originated as a natural outdoor cat in Russia, the overall appearance of the Siberian Cat should reflect this natural heritage.
The Siberian matures slowly, full development of the cat can take four to five years. The cat should have an alert expression, be in good general condition and well presented. A cat should not be penalised if apparently wrongly colour registered, as there are no points for colour.
Head:The head should bein good proportion to the body. It should form a short, broad wedge with rounded contours, with a slightly rounded muzzle and chin. The lower forehead should be slightly domed. The profile line should show a slight concave curve at the bridge with a nose of a harmonious length. The nose should be of uniform width when viewed from the front. The whisker pads should be moderately well developed and form a gentle, rounded line with the chin. The muzzle should be broad and rounded. The chin should be slightly rounded, neither receding nor prominent when viewed in profile.
Cheekbones:The cheekbones are the determining factor in the head type of a Siberian. The direction of the cheekbone arch extends to the outer ear base. The cheekbones should be low set, very broad and connected by a gentle, rounded line to the whisker pads and chin, which produces the desired impression.
Ears:Ears of medium size, rounded at the tip, set wide apart, the width of an ear or more between the ears. A cat with higher ear set but a broad rounded head is to be preferred to a cat with wide set ears but a narrow head. Ears should be well furnished.
Eyes:Large, slightly oval shaped, but with a rounded lower line, set slightly oblique and wide apart. Any shade is allowed except that blue and odd eyed colours are allowed in white and van patterned Siberians and only blue allowed in Colourpointed Siberians. The colour should be clear and bright as an indication of good health.
Body:The body is rectangular in format but not too long. The cat should be medium to large, well muscled and heavily built with a broad chest. The neck should be short and substantial.
Legs & Feet: The legs should be in proportion to the body, of medium length with substantial bone structure and strength. The legs should be felt to estimate bone structure. Paws large, with toes carried close, rounded and with well-developed tufts. A medium sized female with balanced bone structure and proportions should be preferred to a giant male whose legs are too long.
Tail:It should be broad at the base, of proportionate length and slightly tapering towards the tip. It should reach the shoulder blade. The tail should be well furnished.
Coat:The texture and structure of the coat are important features of the breed. However, allowance should be made for kittens that may have softer fur, and for the seasonal moult. The coat is of medium length, with a very dense undercoat that is soft, fine and somewhat “springy”, covered by a coarser, more substantial topcoat. The fur over the shoulders is shorter. The hair is firm to the touch and waterproof. The smoothly flowing guard hairs should cover the back, flanks and upper side of the tail.
The underside of the body and the breeches have only undercoat. The undercoat is shorter than the covering topcoat, it should be dense and plentiful. It may be lighter in the summer but should still be present. One should feel the definite resilience of the dense undercoat when a hand is placed on the coat. A longer, plentiful ruff is preferred.
Coat Colour & Pattern: The Siberian is recognised in a wide variety of colours and patterns including colourpointed. Chocolate, Cinnamon, Caramel and the according dilute colours (Lilac, Fawn, and Apricot) are not accepted in any pattern combinations (solid, bi-colour, tri-colour, tabby or colourpointed.) Burmese or Tonkinese colour restriction are also not accepted. Any amount of white is allowed, (i.e. white on paws, chest, belly, blaze, locket etc.) on all patterns and colours including the colourpointed variety. The colourpointed variety can be called Neva Masquerade. Allowance should be made for belly spots and shading on colourpoints.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
29-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #6

We had a chat a little while ago about these lovely cats. Supposedly less allergen-producing too, but who knows?
Here's the link
http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/s...light=siberian

(We'd like you to get one of those!....lots of pics please!)

Catsey Veteran

29-01-2006, 03:15 PM   #7

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh i remember that now. lovely adorable, think i like them even more than perisans lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
29-01-2006, 03:20 PM   #8

From what I've read, they're similar in temperament to Maine Coons. I agree that you need one (or two?!) and then you need to post loads and loads of pictures

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
29-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #9

This was the pic I found when I looked previously.
Enjoy - he's thoroughly gorgeous!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
29-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #10

I think I got one

The guard hairs on her coat are really quite coarse and she's fairly waterproof too.

She is a rescue, so who knows :shrug: