Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
10-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #1

Gameboy consoles

Altho we bought the kids a Playstation2 at xmas Thomas keeps hogging the thing and Louise won't play with it now if Thomas is home

I wanted to get her a Gameboy Advance but not sure which one to go for. I did think about the SP but I have no idea how good these handheld consoles are.

If there's anyone out there who has a Gameboy Advance of any sort can you let me know your opinions on them.

I've seen a nice pink one on eBay with all the pink accessories to go with it.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
10-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #2

Re: Gameboy consoles

If I was you I would go for the DS rather than the Advance, far superior IMO.

I'm 22 on Saturday and was bought a DS for Valentine's day (romantic eh?) and it's great. I'm not normally a fan of handheld games but this is great. Lots of nice games (I don't like shooting games or anything) like Animal Crossing (highly addictive) and Nintendogs (basically like a virtual pet you look after - with the added features that you can 'stroke' it with the touch screen and teach it to learn voice commands as it has a built in microphone), has a Lithium Ion battery (a very good rechargeable battery so you want be constantly buying them) and is also backwards compatible. The graphics are much better and has a proper back light so you can actually see what you are doing.

My younger brother, for some reason, wanted an Advance for his birthday and seems to have regretted it since - and continually steals mine. They have Wi Fi capabilities so you can play across a wireless internet connection (although a lot of games like Animal Crossing will not let kids play with people they don't know - for obvious reasons) and can also connect wirelessly (I assume through a bluetooth type connection) with other DSs if they are nearby - and you normally only have to have one copy of the game (even if you are playing with up to 7 other people). I think they are very clever little things and much better value for money over many of the other handheld consoles.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
10-05-2006, 01:52 PM   #3

I agree with Julie.
One caveat - the DS doesn't run on replaceable batteries, so if you are planning on going away on, say, a camping-trip with no electrickery to recharge it, it will run out of juice in 8 hours or so and then be useless. I have both for that reason - we do some long-haul flights, and spend two weeks a year or more in the wilderness.
The DS also takes GBA cartridges, so you can buy even more (eBay) games to suit her taste. Think all of them run on the DS... all of the ones I have, do.

Catsey Veteran

10-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #4

Thanks guy's I'll look into the prices of the DS, gotta be worth a look

Only wanted the cheaper option as she's only 6 (7 next week) and I'm not sure how she's gonna be with it. Dont wanna spend loads of money and then find she's not really interested.

Catsey Veteran

10-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #5

Get a gameboy Colour with a few games off eBay and see how she goes? The console is £3-10, don't know what games she wants.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
10-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreow
One caveat - the DS doesn't run on replaceable batteries, so if you are planning on going away on , say, a camping-trip with no electrickery to recharge it, it will run out of juice in 8 hours or so and then be useless.
Good point! I had never thought of that. I hate things that need replaceable batteries because they just seem to drain them and I'm always buying them (especially if you give something as a present to a child, I feel I should always buy batteries so they can play immediately but they aren't cheap! [gosh, I moan! ] ) I never go camping, but yes, certainly something to consider.

Catsey Veteran

10-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #7

We are all entitled to moan Julie, especially us women

I'll have a look at the Colour one thanks Hreow, even more for me to go searching for on eBay

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
10-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #8

I am no good with these such items.....both my children have them tho! x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
10-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #9

I would personally get a DS - getting one for Emma for Christmas I think - but she is 12 at the moment so maybe bit too big for a smaller child?

Catsey Veteran

10-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #10

Doubt it. My favourite loaner-child has had handheld consoles since she was six (now nine) and has always managed. If it gets too heavy for small hands, then there are always tables or lap alternatives. Don't think she's ever had a problem reaching the right button at the right time. Especially with the Nintendo stuff. Then again - I don't know Louise, and you do.