Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
12-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #1

So cross with myself

We were going out yesterday evening (about 7) and running late (as per usual for us). As I stepped out the front door I noticed a couple of teenage boys (about 17 so not young) staring from the road. As we walked to the car, they called out to Neil because he almost stepped on a baby bird on the path! It was a little baby crow and the mummy bird (I assume it was mummy!) was making a racket sitting on top of our porch.

I stood there for ages trying to work out what to do. Neil was moaning that we were already late and I didn't know what to do for the best for the baby bird. In the end I left it where it was and we sat in the car for a couple of moments as we watched the teenage boys pick it up and place it under a bush to the side of the path and walk around the corner. Then we drove off.
At this point, I felt really bad. I had been insistent that these boys were going to cause trouble. I kept saying to Neil they were going to hurt the baby bird (and also made a point of double locking the front door
). I felt awful and Neil made me feel like I was judgemental - because they were teenagers I assumed they were up to no good and I'm not like that at all but I felt really bad.
I was relieved the baby bird was in the bush though.

We were only gone about 20 minutes. We got home and the baby bird was on the grass outside the front of our house, battered and now headless.
I have no doubts it was the two boys I saw hanging about - they placed it in the bush beside my house and nobody would have happened across it unless they knew it was there. I have never seen any cats around - and if a cat had got it, I would have expected a few feathers to be around but it wasn't like that at all; it looked like it had been stamped on or thrown against something very hard.

I felt so bad. I knew something was wrong when we left in the car, I should have trusted my instincts - Neil made me feel awful, but I know I normally see the best in people and am normally too trusting. I feel so guilty for the poor baby bird. I haven't seen mummy bird since either. I think the nest was either in the hedge by our house or in our guttering - I hope they are all still okay. I don't want to go looking in case I disturb them further. Poor baby bird, I'm sorry.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
12-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #2

Re: So cross with myself

That's awful

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
12-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #3

Awwww, you know I cant stand teenagers! they think they are so clever.
N to hurt an innocent baby bird like that is just awful. How would they like it if someone did that to their baby!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
12-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #4

Poor little bird. If I ever caught my kid doing that, even when older he'd get a beating like no other!! Those hideous teenagers will get their come-uppance one day. However I know that doesn't make you feel any better. We've all made mistakes like that I'm sure. For instance:

I did that once with a cat. It was so thin, and I was on my way to the corner shop and bought it a sachet of cat food which I put down. Whilst I went home to think about what to do about it (and call RSPCA/CP re my rights to take the cat and help it), the cat disappeared and despite looking for ages I neve saw it again. I'll not forgive myself for that one and now will stop and help any animal that looks like it might have a problem.

Follow your gut instinct and if it doesn't feel right it probably isn't!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
12-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #5

Poor little bird. Poor mummy bird. Poor you for having to find it dead.