Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
22-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #1

Harness and lead training

A friend of mine has lent me her cat harness & lead set to start getting Moli used to it.

We started this morning and Moli had no objections at all to having the harness put on her. We went outside in the driveway and she just sat and stared at me whilst i called her and pulled gently on the lead to encourage her to come to me. She came to me so had a great big fuss. She walked a little bit infront of me whilst I walked around the drive then she decided she wanted to go out the gate. Off we went and she walked lovely on the harness and lead for about 3 houses then started to jump about on the end of the lead so I took it off her.

I was well chuffed with her and it didn't take her long to get used to it either I thought it would take us ages to get that far

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
22-05-2006, 01:42 PM   #2

Re: Harness and lead training

I think that proves she's an excellent choice for a PAT-cat.
I've managed to find everything, and I think I can escape tomorrow at lunch-time, so you'll have a parcel soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
22-05-2006, 01:46 PM   #3

Well done Moli, as ever girls are more adaptable to new concepts and challenges than boys !!! I've too just started this with Darcy. He's such a 'monkey' for running off out of the garden that I've decided that he stays on the lead until he learns that vaulting the garden wall is not an option. Thing is he just sits and glowers at me when I put it on him. He refuses to move!!

Siwwy cat!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
22-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #4

I got Mr darcy and princess a harness last week. Well, one each lol
Mr Darcy wont even step outside the back door, I lift him out and he jsut stnads there on tippy toes thinking why am i here. And princess is a madam, pulls on the lead, tried jumping fences and is determined to go where she wants to. Going to get them a retractable dog lead each to give them some more freedom.
Neither actually mind the harness being put on though.

Good luck with your harness training!

Catsey Veteran

22-05-2006, 01:54 PM   #5

The retractable dog-leads are very good! Unless you have a labyrintine garden to wind it round at great speed. I bring the short lead with me so I can keep Rover on *something* while I crawl around on hands and knees to untangle fifteen bushes, two trees and one of my legs...

Could you convince Darcy to move by offering small bits of treats? Or is he too clever for that? Just read the other thread - he is. Magic shoestring? Mouse on a fishing-rod and line? Rover fetches and follows sticks, but he's odd.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
22-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #6

It will be lovely if Moli gets to be a PAT-Cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
22-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #7

Thanks Hrewo.

Moli made me very proud today. On the way back from the vets she did nothing but jump about in the carrier so I took her out and she walked the 5 mins from the play park to about 4 houses up from ours without so much as a jump or a twitch. She did pull back when a bus stoped but I think that's acceptable When we got the 4th house from ours she started acting the loon, jumping around and playing up but I think that might have something to do with the 4 rather large, loud lads that were kicking the football across the road at us I didn't half get some funny looks from people mind. One woman nearly drove her car into some bollards cos she was so busy looking at me and the cat instead of the road

I also noticed that in the vets they have retractable leads designed for cats.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
22-05-2006, 04:54 PM   #8

Sounding good!! I have never had any luck with harnesses and leads, and no luck with retractable dog leads either.

Catsey Veteran

22-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #9

Thanks for the tip of the cat-leads! I'll badger my vet's for some more information on those.

Moli is a real super-cat! Rover's opinion on cars (let alone busses!) and people of any size, is an extra-large bottle-brush tail and the cutest of crest of hairs down his back. We tend to stay well clear, as they upset him so much.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
22-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #10

Thanks for posting this Nae...it is inspirational I am hoping to harness and lead train my meezer and Ori babies when I get them so this is very encouraging indeed! I was in stitches at the lady who nearly hit the bollards whilst looking at Moli