Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
17-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #1

Dog almost dies today - be careful please

Today I went to Sutton park in B'ham - surprisingly for me the visit was totally non dog related, I was backup for someone doing a trial bike ride.
Just as I pulled up a lady in her 50's rushed past me I was about to sit on the tail gate of my car went to a car then came back past me at the same speed now as we were in the middle of a park with no people/buildings in sight.
I said "are you okay" I don't think she'd seen me even she said "can you help its my dog; its my dog" I went with her about 400yards and there was a dog a collie cross in the arms of a lad of about 15/16.
I said "what happened" and looked for another dog or car thinking an accident when the lady said "he just collapsed" the lad said "we'd left him in the car then we came back I took him for a run with me this is as far as we got he just collapsed" the dog was panting like crazy (this had taken seconds to say) a man ran over (he'd stopped his car) and I said the dog's got heat exhaustion.
The man said I have water I have water. We each rushed to our cars I ran full pelt to mine and grabed a couple of 2ltr bottles of water (I had taken the girls out in the morning) and travel blanket.
I ran back arriving at the same time as the man who had 6x 2ltr bottles of water (he'd been shopping before coming into the park) I soaked the blanket in water and we put the dog on the blanket then poured water slowly over him. The man took off his "teeshirt" and we soaked that and out it on the dogs head, the lad took his tshirt off and we soaked that putting alternating it with the one on his head as the dog was so hot it was drying out in seconds, we
poured water over the dogs gums, this took about 5minutes before the dog "came round" so to speak in this time we were running out of water when another two cars pulled up one had a dog (therefore water) and we used that too. All in all we used about 8-10 2ltrs of water
It seems they'd gone for a walk to see the "airplanes" the park allows model airplane flying in an area at the park. They'd been gone about 3/4 hour the car had been in shade when they went but when I pulled up it was boiling then they came back and the lad decided to take the dog for a run - he'd gone about the 400yards when the dog collapsed he wasn't long haired coat like a Border collie and not fat, but obviously the heat in the car had pushed him to the egde then to take him for a run
We told them to the vets to check him out and have the windows open in the car; I said take the take the wet blanket and t'shirt with them.
The woman and her son went so no idea who they were nor do I know who the man was. I juts hope the dog is okay all I know is they had a Corsa grey/silver.

So a warning just be careful don't leave your dogs in the car in fact don't take them out in the heat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #2

Re: Dog almost dies today - be careful please

Oh dear poor dog when will this message ever hit home that you never leave dogs in cars in hot weather, even with windows open they very quickly overheat and dogs do die due to heat exhaustion

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #3

My gosh Kazz....thank goodness you and the man were able to help the poor dog. If you hadn't stayed calm and did what you did, it could have been another sorry story.

Why don't people THINK when they leave their pets alone like this in cars!!!

Catsey Veteran

17-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #4

Well my girls go out about 5am in the morning then not again at all in this hot hot weather maybe a walk about 10.30-11 pm when its cooler.
All day they are in the house with the back door open access to freshwater in living room, kitchen, back garden (in the shed) and they are in the house with the fan on in the midday heat. I wouldn't take them out in the car if you paid me a £million.
I've seen people out with dogs over the last week or so I've never seen before, in fact I think these dogs come out of the woodwork I swear; because I have never seen these people out with or without dogs in mid winter. But summer 26 + out they come. Dragging their dogs behind them poor devils.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
17-07-2006, 06:57 PM   #5

You know, it shouldn't surprise me that people do this as some even do this to their children... But it shocks me every time that someone could be that careless and uninformed

Catsey Veteran

17-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #6

The poor woman was in bits she kept saying over and over "I parked in the shade; I parked in the shade" I felt sorry for her - but that wouldn't have helped if her dog had died. The lad was in tears he just sat holding the dog or stroking him with tears rolling down his face - not a sound - just great big tears - from a lad of 15-16 is upsetting to see. You had to ignore him or you would have joined him. When he saw the man give up his teeshirt he pulled his over his head and straight away and said "please use mine, please he'll know my smell". Heartbreaking - they obviously really love the dog just a moment of not thinking.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
17-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #7

although we live in an up stairs flat, ive been taking ben out about 7 am, and then hes in for the day till about 6-30. but when he has a walk its literary a walk up the road for him to do his biz then home again, i know hes not getting the exercise he needs but at the moment its too hot so he can wait for his long walks. hes got loads of water theres 3 bowls of water scattered around the flat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #8

My dogs are not having a walk today, they have been in and out of the garden all day, I have wtaer bowls dotted all round the garden too....Gypsy feels it more than the other two, Mollie is covered in sun screen!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
17-07-2006, 11:26 PM   #9

That's a sad tale Kazz. I hope the dog will be okay..

Caleb goes out with OH about 5.45am and then possibly around 8 -9pm if it is cool enough. He has free access to the garden and water bowls everywhere. He particularly likes to drink from the small water feature we have in the garden. I have a fan on in the lounge & dining room and close the curtains to try and keep it cool.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-07-2006, 09:38 AM   #10

Well done Kazz - hope the dog will be OK
Dinah is so lethargic this very hot weather she is happy just to lie about. If she does go for a walk and comes home hot I do the same thing - wring out old towels in cold water and put them over her, from head to tail. She seems to enjoy walking around imitating Yasser Arafat! Change the towels a couple of times and the excess heat is drawn off.