Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #1

Think D has kennel cough

Dinah appeared happy yesterday, went for her mid-day run with her boss yesterday but vomited, spectacularly, on her return. She also had watery eyes and a damp nose. It has taken me 24 hours to realise that the poor girl prob has kennel cough . She is doing the honking cough, but no more sickness.
So, a quiet time for her for a week or two.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
03-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #2

Re: Think D has kennel cough

Hope she feels a little better soon DM - its a horrible thing kennel cough.

Catsey Veteran

03-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #3

She doesn't appear unwell Kazz, though she hasn't been out today. Just the blimmin' cough/retch Bet she'll go stir crazy at no exercise for a while then we'll have to think of 'dog-free' areas for quiet walks on a harness when she's on the mend.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #4

Aww poor Dinah Is there anything you can give her for kennel cough DM?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
03-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #5

Poor girl! Please keep her away from all dogs, KC can kill oldies and those with heart problems. Hope she gets better quickly.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
03-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #6

Oh poor thing

Jas had Kennel Cough when we first got him and it was heart breaking to hear him coughing, especially at night and not being able to do anything.

It does take a while to go away but a couple of courses of antibiotics from the vets sorted Jas out. We were also told plenty of rest....yeah right

Catsey Veteran

03-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Aww poor Dinah Is there anything you can give her for kennel cough DM?
It's a virus Mags - like us getting a cold - so unless any bacterial infection sneaks in on top of it there's no appropriate medication. I've given her some honey disolved in water to ease her throat and I believe it is OK to give them kiddie benilyn, but I'd rather not. Will keep a close eye and head off to the vet if she appears to be worsening, but she is a healthy little sprocket normally and I hope she'll shake it off.
Dawn - we won't go anywhere for a few days but when she appears to be improving - or is driving us quite mad - we'll just head out to the fields and do some on-lead (or on-harness, so she doesn't have anything round her neck) walks. Do you know (yes, you must know) when she is considered 'safe'? How many days without coughing?
Suppose she must have found it in the kennels but it's a bit rapid - she only went in on Thursday. We've tried a different walk for the last week or so, so i wonder if there were different/infected dogs there?

Thanks for your good wishes everyone - I'll pass them on!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
03-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #8

Its everywhere DM at the moment, thankfully we dont have it in the kennels, but we have turned away 3 people in the last 4 weeks with dogs that are coughing. I think when the coughing is stopped, a road walk would be ok, at least the nasal droplets (infectious) wont be on a public park type area, and yes she will probably be driving you NUTS by then!!!
Dawn,.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
03-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #9

Poor thing, kennel cough sounds horrible, as I do not have any dogs - I have no experience of this but it must be horrid for you to have to listen to her struggle and cough, its bad enough when us humans get a cough mine normally keeps me awake all night x

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
03-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #10

The incubation for kennel cough is usually about 3-5 days. The dog can remain infectious for several days after the coughing has stopped. If your dog doesn't show a marked improvement within two or three days or appears to be getting worse it could be a secondary infection which will respond to a course of antibiotics.

It's too late this time but if you hear of kennel cough in your area again I would suggest you pop along to the vet and have the dog 'vaccinated' against it, it's just a 'puff' up the dog's nose. Kath