Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Sadly missed ginger tab
01-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #1

For all of you that have children, a question

Now for all of you that have kids who goes in the bath with them

I have 2 boys, my oldest is 4 and my youngest is 2
I dont tend to bath with my oldest anymore but I do my youngest, sometimes

Now the reason I am asking this is today when I was talking to someone we were talking about this very issue,
she said

'I never bath with my kids, its dirty and wronge and parents should be locked up for doing it as its nothing more than child abuse '

I was completely shocked by this and Ive never really though about it like that before

Can I have your views please

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #2

Re: For all of you that have children, a question

Well Tom at almost 15 and Em at almost 12 would take a very dim view of taking a bath with me

But when they were tiny I did used to bath with them and I don't see anything wrong with it at all...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
01-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #3

I don't have a bath in my house, only showers. My parents didn't bath with my brother and I, but that's a generational thing (didn't happen in the 60s)

If I did have a bath I would not be concerned about being in the bath with my children, like it doesn't bother me if they are in the bathroom when I use the loo. However I think 4 is a good cut-off point age wise, as they are becoming self-aware and more independent and it's good for them to be doing things for themselves.

In no way would I consider it filthy, immoral or perverse. I think the person you were talking to must have some issues to have such a rather outside view of the subject.

Catsey Senior

01-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #4

I agree yola
when I said I stay in the bathroom with my oldest whos 4 when hes in the bath she went onto say its the same as taking a bath with them
It is quite dangerous, in my eyes, to leave a 4year old unattended in the bath

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
01-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #5

Absolutely!!! I would never let my (almost) 4 year old shower on his own, never mind a bath

Does this person have kids?????

Catsey Senior

01-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Absolutely!!! I would never let my (almost) 4 year old shower on his own, never mind a bath

Does this person have kids?????
She has 2,Her kids are in there mid 20's
The lady in question is in her late 50's and is a child minder

I said to her ' so your tying to tell me that you never bathed with your children when they were younger'

Her reply was 'yes, but there were less perverts around in my day'

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
01-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #7

My reply to that would have been something along the lines of "there have always been perverts around,and there were proberbly the same amount if not more back in your day just not the media hype thats around and highlighting the issue today"

Honestly some people are unbelievable

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
01-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #8

I used to go in the bath with mum and dad until I started walking at 10 months because then I would grab onto dad's tender bit of anatomy to stand up in the bath Poor dad

After that mum and dad would be in the room bathing me but not in bath with me and I would share with little sister and brother - at one point all three of us were tiny enough to be bathed together

I can't see anything wrong with it when very small - after all parents change their children's nappies, dress them, wipe bums after toileting etc etc etc so how is bathing anymore abnormal?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
01-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc22peatree
I agree yola
when I said I stay in the bathroom with my oldest whos 4 when hes in the bath she went onto say its the same as taking a bath with them
It is quite dangerous, in my eyes, to leave a 4year old unattended in the bath
Oh my goodness i'd never dream of leaving my 4 year to do his own bath! I still wash his hair for him for gawds sake....

I think it's more weird TO leave him on his own than not. The furthest away I am is in the next room with doors open as he does like doing things for himself now where and when he can, but you still have to keep an eye on what they are doing!

Crazy lady she is Clair!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
01-06-2007, 04:35 PM   #10

I used to when the kids were little, and then as they got older I always supervised bathtime as so many accidents can happen.

Even now I have a rule that they do not lock the door to the bathroom, but the door is shut for privacy. They are now almost 15 and 13.

I think it is absurd that she thinks you should leave a young child in the bath alone - especially as she is a childminder!!!! I certainly wouldnt leave my child with her if that is how she looks after children!!!!

Stoopid woman!!