Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
17-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #1

My Wedding

I just thought I would share with you my wee wedding plans

this is where we are wanting to get married:
http://www.samyeling.org/

we are thinking about renting a cottage close by - we originally wanted the dogs to be a part of the ceremony but they are not allowed on the temple grounds. Its going to be very small and we will invite folks back to the cottage for a barbeque in the garden. All vegetarian, of course! Its the only time in my life I am making people go with my values but I don't want an animal to die just because I want to get married.

As you can imagine this has caused a lot of upset with the in-laws to be. To the point that some were refusing to come So we are not telling them any more of the plans and they will receive a wedding invitation about a week before I won't have a white dress or anything like that either - I know its not what every-one would want - but its really important to me and my boyfriend to do it our way and be happy about it - just hope they can eventually accept it. I feel really guilty about it but I just can't have the huge wedding they would like - and they have had that for their other kids so its not as if I'm denying them of the experiance of it.

do you think I'm being selfish?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #2

Re: My Wedding

That's really beautiful - what a lovely peaceful place to get married - and no, I don't think your wedding should be someone else's party. You have what you want.
And a veggie barbie - mmm mmm - do you do the haloumi/courgette kebabs? Love them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
17-06-2007, 12:22 PM   #3

What a lovely place to get married! And no Emm, you'er not being selfish! Just because you're way of doing things is different from their way does not make it wrong! It is YOUR day, and something you want to look back on and remember with very happy memories and to compromise your beliefs to make others happy would spoil that. Don't you dare feel guilty because they are not accepting of your beliefs. I wish you a wondeful wedding day and a very happy life together!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
17-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #4

It looks a lovely place to get married. I don' think you are being slefish at all I think that your in laws are as it is your special day and should be exacctl how you and your partener want it to be not how everyone else does. I hope that your in laws come round and except your way of living if only for one day and that they turn up and have a great time. Don't feel guilty what ever happens just have fun and enjoy the day.

best of luck

Sally

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #5

What a beautiful place to get married Emm! It is your day and your right to arrange it just as you wish not how others would want. Your in-laws should be happy for you whatever you choose.

I went through a similar problem with my in-laws when I was married. I hate any kind fuss and do not like to be the centre of attention at any time. Years ago you only had the choice of a church wedding or the Registry Office, before all the grand places of today were allowed. I chose the Register Office and had just 20 guests, it suited us perfectly and more importantly, it was what we wanted. There was no comment from the in-laws after either!

I wish you both a wonderful day!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #6

Em - it is your and your partner's wedding and you must do it in the way that works for the both of you and I think you've chosen a wonderful location! If I were to be getting married now I would be opting for a much more relaxed, tranquil and personal affair . . . luck you - it's certainly going to be a day to remember for both of you

When's the big day??

Almost a Veteran Member

17-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #7

thanks every-one but I still can't help feeling a bit guilty - hopefully this will pass.

Yola - we were supposed to be getting married last month on our 10 year anniversary but because of all the upset I couldn't go through with organising it so hopefully it will be next May end of the month or early June whichever dates are available

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #8

OMG I never even knew that such a place existed here, looks amazing .
Why is it that people turn weddings into something thats more about them than the happy couple?
I dont think you are selfish at all and I wish you both lots of happyness and love xxx

Almost a Veteran Member

18-06-2007, 02:33 AM   #9

I have actually been quite shocked by it all - I have had people tell me what I must have so they can wear certain things I'm just wearing my jeans - nothing fancy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
18-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #10

Emm Your not being selfish!! It's YOUR wedding and your wishes!!

It's meant to be the best day of your life, not someone else's. Go for it!! Have a wonderful day and be happy.