Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #1

Merlin has had his cyst drained!

My old Merlin (21 years old - some of you will know him!) has been to the vet this afternoon. He has had a cyst on his face now for a couple of years which needs draining, especially when he starts scratching at it. Obviously, he is too old to have it surgically removed.

I saw a young woman who is new to me at the vets and asked her if this was something I could do at home. She demonstrated very carefully the procedure and I have come home armed with antiseptic wash and needles. It seems very straightforward and will save me a lot of money IF I can bring myself to stick a needle into my dear old mog!!! I've got a couple of weeks before I have to think about doing it.

Meanwhile, he is back to his handsome self so I must take some up to date pix!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
19-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #2

Re: Merlin has had his cyst drained!

Its amazing what you can do if its for a pet.....Pleased to here Merlin is more comfortable now.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
20-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #3

You can do it Just have to be confident when piercing it - one quick firm prick is better than a few squeamish attempts. Maybe practice on an orange first to get a feel for how skin can feel (has a similar resistance).

*hugs*

Cats owned: male bobtail
Engine 88 is Male
20-11-2007, 09:11 PM   #4

I like to hear about geriatric cats and that they are still going strong.I had a Maine Coon that I lost in January of this year.Up until the day we lost him at 16 he was just as sweet as ever. My son has his playmate ,a manx , he is 16 1/2 has been treated for cancer .They peeled half his face back cleaned it out and sewed it back you would never know it.He is also on thyroid treatments.He is also a cat with a great temperment and is still as sweet as ever.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
21-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #5

Hope Merlin is feeling better soon

Catsey Veteran

21-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #6

Thanks for kind thoughts and messages. I will try with the orange first, Grete. I remember a friend of mine who told me that's how nurses were trained to give injections oh, umpty upm years ago, wonder if they still do it today. Glad to hear about your son's manx Engine88 (how did you get that handle?). I do wonder sometimes at the lack of choice owners have in relation to food for the older cat, as I am sure the population of older cats increases due to better general care and advances in veterinary medicine. Thyroid and renal failure seem to be common problems - I lost my cat Smudge to overactive thyroid.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
22-11-2007, 12:15 AM   #7

I am sure you will be able to do what is needed to make things better for Merlin. Can't wait for the new pics of the handsome fella.

Catsey Veteran

22-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #8

Here is a photo of Merlin. You can see the cyst "sac" on the left side of his face just under his ear. Poor old guy - it's already starting to fill up again.

Thanks for all your kind comments. I'll let you know how I get on when I make my first attempt at draining it for him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
22-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #9

Awww poor boy, he looks good for his age tho!!

Is it not possible to remove the cyst sac under a mild sedative + local anasthetic rather than knocking him right out?

I get sebacious cysts in my scalp that have to be removed when they start getting too large and that's just done using local anasthetic, I didn't feel a thing. They key is to get the 'shell' out so it can heal properly rather than just refilling.

Anyway, you will do fine with the draining cos you love him

Catsey Veteran

22-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #10

Nice thought, Grete. The vet has not suggested this and I expect he would get very panicky as he would not understand what was happening. Sorry to hear you have to go through it though.

I meant Merlin would get panicky, not the vet!