Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Female, short haired
23-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #1

Can anyone help please? Balance problem with my cat.

Hi everyone...this is my 1st post, I found you through google. Cybill my 12 year old female short haired is poorly and the vets don't seem to know what the problem is, was wondering whether any of you could possibly have any idea as to what could be wrong.
In the early hours of Thurs morning I got up to use the bathroom and Cybs came into me for a stroke, I thought she had a very slight limp but she seemed her usual self so decided I would see how she was in the morning...just to add she is 12 and does occasionally have a very slight limp after she's 1st got up every once in a while. When I got up at 6am the limp had got noticeably worse to the point where she was loosing her balance veering over to the right. We took her to the vets where they ran blood tests and an ultrasound they said she has got slight heart disease and slight kidney problems but not enough to be causing any problems or to warrant treatment. They said she doesn't appear to be in any pain but couldn't determine what it was, they have given us Metacam to give her once a day. She's still hungry and using her tray and she purrs when we stroke her and apart from her balance she is her usual lovely self. They gave us another appointment for a weeks time and said hopefully she will improve. She's come down the stairs herself but can't get back up them (we've kept her upstairs out of the way with a duvet folded up for her to sleep on and her food, water and litter tray in there because we've got a crazy little dog and an 11 week old baby, so thought she'd appreciate the quiet time, I've been running up the stairs to give her loves and kisses! I rang the vet yesterday for a chat and she's brought our appointment forward to tuesday and says she's going to do an x-ray this time but she seems to think she will improve before then. I'm so worried about her, she doesn't seem to be falling over as much but she's so unsteady on her feet, has anyone got any ideas on what this could be? Thankyou for taking the time to read this, we would really appreciate anyones thoughts on this one. Thankyou again. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
23-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #2

Re: Can anyone help please? Balance problem with my cat.

Welcome to Catsey. I'm sorry to hear Cybill is not well at the moment It's hard to predict what it might be really. You didn't say whether she was unsteady on her front or hind legs? Have the vets checked her ears? as ear problems can cause balance issues. Other than that, I know it's rarer in cats than in dogs but they have been known to suffer hip dysplasia, arthritis and certain other joint problems. Also certain infections can cuase limping. Your vet is certainly the best person to help in this situation and I'm glad she has brought the appointment forward as a week between appointmets did seem a rather long time. Hopefully, someone else might be able to throw some possible other suggestions into the pot. In the meantime, I hope that she improves. Please lets us know how she gets on.

23-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #3

Hi and thankyou for your reply. It is her hind legs, the right appears to be more affected than her left. The vet did check her ears, but I was thinking if its an inner ear thing she wouldn't be able to see anything? I'm not sure what to do for her for the best, I don't know if I'm doing more harm the good letting her move around? Well, thankyou again for the reply. Will post again when she's been back to the vets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #4

Does her hind legs feel cold to the touch at all?
The reason i ask is because you mention that she has been diagnosed with slight heart and kidney problems, there in may lie the answer. Did the vet run a full blood panel? Cats with heart and/or kidney issues may display such issues if their phosphorus levels are too high, their potasium levels are too low or they may develope blood clots which usually effect the hind legs.
I dont mean to worry you at all and am very sorry your cat is poorly but if your vet doesnt seem to know what may be causing this, then maybe you could ask her about the possibility of these things.

http://www.felinecrf.org/symptoms.htm#minerals

23-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #5

They ruled out blood clots because her legs and paw pads didn't feel cold. The vet said the only thing they didn't do was an x-ray which they are going to do on tues so I'm assuming they did run a full blood panel. Blood clots was one of the things they suggested could be the prob when hubby first dropped her off. (she was there all day thurs) I rang the vet myself yesterday to mention that I thought her right hip looked lower than her left when she was eating fri morn but she said that could be down to the way she was holding herself rather than the cause??? The vet said the heart and kidney issues were not at a severe enough level to cause the probs she is having? She said that hopefully she wouldn't need the x-ray because she will improve over the next couple of days. She doesn't appear to be falling over now but is still really swaying at her rear end when she walks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #6

Oh well thats good news, sounds like your vet is being really thorough. I would personally want to try to find out what the cause of this imbalance is, even if she is better by tuesday.
I wish you both all the very best xxx

23-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #7

Thankyou very much, yes I agree about finding out the cause of the problem. I feel I need to know what's happening to avoid it happening again. I will post to let you know, Thankyou for taking the time to peply to me and for the link. xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
23-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #8

Dear Cybs1, hope your problems will soon resolve and that Cybill will be fine again, as always on Catsey we send our healing vibes out to her

23-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #9

Ahhhhh thanks very much PoshPuss. Really appreciate that xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #10

No suggestions at all, I'm afraid. But I hope your vet comes up with the answer and she is soon much better.