Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
26-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #1

Second thoughts

I am now having second thoughts as to whether being a pet sitter is the right thing for me, because i get so emotionally involved. Have cried buckets in recent months over animals that dont even belong to me. Indy, my wee hammy, a budgie from work, guinea pigs, Pootle and now Tally. Maybe i shouldnt work with animals at all. Or maybe some greif counselling course might help.
Just dont know.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
26-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #2

Re: Second thoughts

I'm sorry you feel this way at the moment but don't forget you are grieving and this means your emotions are very very raw.
If you didn't work with animals the world would be at a loss, because it needs one that cares, really cares about the animals they look after. That is the reason that you are affected by the loss of an animal and in building a relationship of trust with that animal you have got to know all there is about them so you will miss them when they go.

I couldn't think of anyone better to look after something that was so precious to me honestly I mean that.

Big hugs to you right now Elaine XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
26-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #3

Its because you care so much Elaine, you are perfect as a sitter...I too would leave my animals in your care, be cause I know they would be looked after and loved...

Catsey Veteran

26-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #4

Thankyou BC and Moli, thats a nice thing to say.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
26-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #5

I completely agree with BC and Mags Elaine. You are such a good sitter because you care so much, and if I had to haev someone look after my babies, I wouldn't want anyone else!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
26-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #6

That is all well and good when the animals are well loved and looked after although I have to admit I could not do it sometimes even when just walking past some people with dogs for example off lead by roads or running crazy I get upset so I would be useless, if I knew the animals personaly.

But you should consider Elaine detaching yourself may be something you can teach yourself. But if not you will have to either learn to cry and carry on or pack it in. Soz I am
sure you would be good butat what cost to your own health and wellbeing.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

26-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #7

Thanx Alex.
Thanx Kazz, those are the hard facts i need to seriously think about and why I am having second thoughts.
I know that I would be a good, caring and responsible pet sitter but I do get too emotionally involved which is why I mentioned the grief counselling course. Maybe something like that would help me gain a respectful level of detachment. Does that make sense?
Och I dont know, I think I am trying to say is having a love and passion for animals and their wellbeing enough? Does that make a good pet sitter?
God knows, gonna leave this thread till I am thinking a little clearer.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
26-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #8

I imagine working with animals is like working with people (in any capacity caring wise) detachment is essential.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #9

Elaine, what happened today was extremely sad and a shock to you and by feeling like you do now is a sign that you are perfect for the job you will be doing, as you care so much for animals that you would do your utmost to care and protect them.

What happened to Tally is very, very sad and you feel the need to grieve as if she were one of your own family. If she had been in your care today that wouldn't have happened so not only would you do your best for the animals, you would get the opportunity to teach the owners a thing or two also.

It is similar to the nursing profession in a way, the need to care is there but you must also harden yourself to illnesses and worse. I'm sure your love of animals can overcome the sad times as you will know in heart that you have given your all to make their lives happy..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
26-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #10

Elaine - this is the wrong time to be making decisions like this. You are full of emotion and pain and you need to wait until the rawness has passed before you can say for sure.

I too think you are a superb candidate for pet sitting, love, care, pragmatism and practicality are all virtues you possess and attributes that are critical.

However, I think you have already rightly identified that you need to deal with the fact that animals MAY die in your care, that you will inevitably get attached and if/when something happens that may or may not be directly involving you; you need to be able to deal with it. This is both for the good of your professional standing and also for your own personal 'sanity' if you like.