Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-06-2008, 11:16 PM   #1

Informed Consent

Periodically, my vets' practice sends out newsletters. This is extracted from the summer edition, received today which I thought I would share and ask whether your vet does anything similar?

"Informed Consent – what is it?

Informed consent is a legal condition whereby a person can be said to have given consent based upon an appreciation and understanding of the facts and implications of an action. It is a process of communication between you, our client, and the vet, that results in you giving us written authorisation to undergo specific medical or surgical intervention. This process should furnish you with information about the diagnosis, the nature and purpose of the proposed treatment or procedure, the risks and benefits of that procedure, alternatives (regardless of cost), the risks and benefits of alternative treatments or procedures and the risks and benefits of not receiving or undergoing a treatment or procedure. The aim is to provide you with sufficient information that you can make an informed decision about what is right for your pet. In terms of how this relates to AlphaPet, we ask all clients to give their informed consent to allow us to carry out procedures and provide treatment for their pets. By signing consent forms for surgical and some medical procedures as well as euthanasia."

(Source: AlphaPet News Summer 200

I have italicised the section which I think is potentially the most helpful, certainly IMO.