Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: moggy
05-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #1

How old is old ?

Hi

How old is old ?

I took my 16 year old cat Foots to the vets this morning for his annual MOT. Thankfully she gave him a clean bill of health and said he looks considerably younger than his 16 years.

We were talking about cat health etc. She said that any cat that gets to Foots age is living on borrowed time. Now I realise he is a old man, but I have had or known cats live to 18 and 20.

What are your thoughts ?

Gx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
05-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #2

Re: How old is old ?

Hi, I'm not so sure I agree with your vet that a 16 year old cat is "living on borrowed time". Yes, 16 is an excellent age, but with good healthcare and food many cats are reaching this age and beyond these days. The oldest cat I have had was 18 years, but I know members on Catsey have had cats live longer than that. Great to hear that your cat is enjoying his senior years - long may it continue!

05-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #3

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you. We have always tried and been fortunate enough to give Foots the best care and food possible. I honestly think that it is paying dividends now.

I guess it like most things. Generally you get out what you put in.

G
x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #4

Dear Foots (love the name) is a young man. My Merlin is 22 this month! He has just successfully had an operation to remove a cyst and is looking better every day. There are other members here on Catsey who have had cats live longer.

So glad Foots has been given a clean bill of health - here's to many more years for him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
05-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #5

No idea how old is old but there are a fair few people on here whose cats who are or were 20+....so not unusual I would say. Maybe not comon but far from unusual. We have Merlin at the moment almost 22 and just had an op.

My own Oscar was PTS aged 23 years and 4 months.
And his sister Cleo PTS a week short of her 25th birthday.....PS as they were dumped kittens I could only estimate their date of birth o went with that of the Queen Mom's in August.....

Love the name foots and pleased he is well and got a clean bill of health 16 is a teenager ......................LOL

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #6

You seem to have posted this twice webblies! I have replied in the other one!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy's
05-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #7

My friend has a 22 year old moggy n she's fit and healthy, she sleeps more than she used to but thats it really x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #8

Sixteen isn't that old! My childhood cat (outside) lived to 17, one of my girls died at 19 1/2 and another at 20. Foots hopefully has many years ahead of him!

05-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #9

Thank you for all your replies. Good to know that our furry friends are living longer.

Gx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #10

My mum's cat lived til she was 19 and we knew about 4months before that she was fading, she curled up in her favorite spot in the garden and just fell asleep, up until then she was still playful and such a lap cat, you would never have believed how old she was.