Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: NA
10-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #1

Saving Cats

ATTENTION CAT LOVERS!!!

Too many of our cats are dying of chronic kidney disease. Especially male Persian cats. We can't cure it but we can help, by identifying the signs, taking care and enabling our cats to live longer and better lives.

Clinics and hospitals – please inform the people and animals that you help. Passing the information via your distribution lists will help so much, as non-clinicians don't have the tools to diagnose.

In general, if your pet displays one or more of the following take him or her to the vet IMMEDIATELY.

(From a poster in an animal clinic)

Clinical signs of infection
Weight loss*
Weakness
Loss of appetite
Fever
Vomiting**
Diarrhea**
Mouth ulcers***
Chronic bacterial infection

* A cat may eat well but lose weight due to the kidney dysfunction. If your animal is eating regularly, the weight loss is gradual and he or she has a thick, fluffy fur – you might not notice at first.

** If a cat goes outdoors, some of the symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, irregular stools could go unnoticed.

*** Halitosis – if a cat has very bad breath, it's often a sign of illness more serious than dental decay.

*** Urination: If cats urinate in unusual places, not in the cat litter as usual, it may indicate a lack of bladder control. If cats wet themselves – this is a very serious symptom- to the vet IMMEDIATELY!

PLEASE TAKE NOTE AND DISTRIBUTE THE INFORMATION TO AS MANY PEOPLE AND SOURCES AS POSSIBLE.

Thank you so much.

22-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #2

Re: Saving Cats

I'm reposting this, as new information has been added to my original post.
Today someone told me about a possible connection to vaccinations.

22-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #3

ATTENTION CAT LOVERS!!!

Too many of our cats are dying of chronic kidney disease. (chronic renal failure: CRF) We can't cure it but we can help, by identifying the signs, taking care and enabling our cats to live longer and better lives. A cat with kidney problems needs to eat special, quality food.

Clinics and hospitals – please inform the people and animals that you help. Passing the information via your distribution lists will help so much, as non-clinicians don't have the tools to diagnose.

In general, if your pet displays one or more of the following take him or her to the vet IMMEDIATELY.

(From a poster in an animal clinic)

Clinical signs of infection
Weight loss*
Weakness
Loss of appetite
Fever
Vomiting**
Diarrhea**
Mouth ulcers***
Chronic bacterial infection

CRF connected:
* A cat may eat well but lose weight due to the kidney dysfunction. If your cat is eating regularly, the weight loss is gradual and he or she has a thick, fluffy fur – you might not notice at first. It's a good idea to weigh your cat regularly.
** If a cat goes outdoors, some of the symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, irregular stools could go unnoticed.
*** Halitosis – if a cat has very bad breath, it's often a sign of illness more serious than dental decay.
**** Urination: If cats urinate in unusual places, not in the cat litter as usual, it may indicate a lack of bladder control. Urination is often more profuse and frequent. If cats wet themselves – this is a very serious symptom- to the vet IMMEDIATELY!
***** Dehydration: this is also a major symptom. Vets check this by gently gathering the cat by the scruff of the neck. Loose skin: a healthy cat. Tight skin: dehydration.

Some studies suggest a connection between vaccination and CRF, the vaccination may make the condition worse – so take note if you vaccinate your cat.

CRF Information Resources:
http://www.felinecrf.com/what0.htm
Tanya's Feline CRF Information Centre: http://www.felinecrf.org/?

PLEASE TAKE NOTE AND DISTRIBUTE THE INFORMATION TO AS MANY PEOPLE AND SOURCES AS POSSIBLE.
Thank you so much.

22-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #4

Please read the latest post - it's the updated one!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #5

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25488

Thankyou for the info.
Would you like to take a little time to introduce yourself, I would be interested to know more about you and your cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
22-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #6

This year I've started to get my cats, over 10, blood sampled when they get their vaccinations to monitor the condition of their organs (where possible). I believe that the kidneys are usually pretty deteriorated before the cat starts to show symptoms and with having 4 hyperthyroid cats I realise their systems will be prone to other conditions.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #7

I agree Farthing, it's the whole survival thing that animal invariably have, not to show signs of illness until they can hide it no longer.
My two are only 4 yrs old but after dear old Winston and after talking with many owners of CRF cats, I too would be inclined to have blood tests done when my current two reach the age of 10 also. Although CRf is incurable, it is managable depending on early detection and a pro active aproach.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
22-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #8

Yes, I also very pro active. I think the general problem is that people generally don't want to be bothered, and many are nervous of giving needles.