Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #1

Merlin definitely still has toothache - any advice please?

Poor Merlin still has toothache - he is obviously hungry and wanting to eat but when he goes to his bowl, the thought of the pain is obviously putting him off eating.

It is probably on the cards that he will have to have another operation - but in the meantime, does anyone have any advice they could offer about what I can get him to eat as obviously it is important to keep his strength up.

I have been warming his food, and trying it mashed or unmashed and although he will lap the juice that's about all he will take.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #2

Re: Merlin definitely still has toothache - any advice please?

Oh, poor boy. Can you phone the vet and get him another painkilling jab to see him through to Monday when he can have a proper consultation and maybe extraction?

Don't give him anything you have at home, especially aspirin. I'm sure you know that but I've put it in for anyone searching on toothache later.

Nutritious sloppy sluff?
Chicken liver, cooked in the micro without liquid and squashed as much as you can?
Beef tea? - minced or scraped beef, little drop of hot water poured over, leave to infuse, squeeze the beef bits through a cloth and feed the resulting liquid.
Soft fish, like plaice, gently cooked and squashed?

Why do things always seem to happen when the vet is closed?

PS - if he will not take anything solid I think I'd cook something nutritious (I think that means any meat or fish) in water and then take out the solid and boil down the resultant 'gravy' until it's literally just a teaspoon or two. Much of the nutrition and nothing solid.
Will he lick egg yolk? Or very lightly scrambled egg?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #3

Good sestions there DM, I was going to suggest a chicken broth with out onions ofcourse.
Poor Merlin, he really is having quite a time of it just now, Hugs to you Angie coz i know how worried you must be xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
04-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #4

Ouch! I feel for poor Merlin, and for you Angie
I think DM has most things covered for food suggestions.
As long as he's taking fluids even if small amounts I think he'll be ok til the vet is open on Monday. It's going to take lots of patience, which I know you have in buckets-full.
Lots of cuddles from mum. Posh and I send soothing words to Merlin, and chinny tickles too. ((hugs))to you Angie.x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #5

Poor Merlin! You might try adding warm water to a tin of food that he likes, then drain off just the gravy for him...might take two tins to make enough gravy for him to lap. Gentle cuddle to him and a hug for you.....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic short hair (2)
04-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #6

Hi Angie

So sorry to hear poor Merlin has toothache! My dad had a cat that used to have problems with her teeth (until she had them all pulled....poor kitty!) and he could usually get her to eat by puree-ing whatever she would normally eat with a little bit of warm water to a soft smooth "pudding" texture.

Also, and I'm not suggesting you try this without speaking to a vet, he used to rub infant teething gel (not containing aspirin) on her gums......that provided immense relief to her! But as I said, check with a vet first as I'm not sure if it was something he did at his own vet's suggestion or not.

Hope Merlin feels better soon. Please give him a stroke for me!

Tina

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #7

I tried Merlin on some tuna yesterday and he wouldn't touch it (unheard of) and also tried warming some whole milk, which he also would not touch. OH saw him drinking some water though which is good.

I am not at all sure how Merlin is today. This morning, OH tempted him with a bit of bacon, which he ate. I therefore poached him some chicken and he managed to eat a small portion - hand fed. If his mouth was very sore, would he even have managed this much??? Because he has eaten something, and because I think it would be detrimental to take him on a 20 minute journey to the weekend vet especially in this bad weather, I have decided to leave it until tomorrow. Hope I manage to get him to eat a bit more later.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
05-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #8

Think you have made the right choice in waiting till tomorrw Angie eating even a little is a good sign. Maybe he is just not hungry older cats are a "enigma" sometimes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
05-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #9

Oh poor Merlin! Sorry to hear he's still painful, hopefully the vet will be able to give him some anti-inflammatories to help. It could also be that he's associating eating with the pain he felt previously and this is supressing his appetite.
I hope everything goes well at the vets tomorrow.
Gentle hugs to Merlin,
Lx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #10

Poor boy; at least he's drinking water and has eaten a wee bit. Think you've made the right decision; that's what I would do.....