Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: British Shorthair
03-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #1

Felix keeps falling over :-(

Hi, wondered if anyone had any experience of this or could offer any advice?

Felix (my pride and joy) is 12. For the past couple of weeks he seems to have trouble with his back legs, they seem to keep giving way on him; he's wobbling a lot and actually walking like he's just had too much to drink!

In himself he is fine, he's eating well, doesn't seem to be in any pain, is still happy, cuddly and purry as normal.

We've been to the vets tonight who's admitted she's at a loss, she thoroughly examined him and he didn't yelp or cry at any of it. She carried out some other tests to see if he was aware of his legs, if he could feel them etc, and his reflexes, and these were all perfect.

She's referred him to a more senior vet on Friday. They think it could be something neurological? He doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

Guess just a waiting game til Friday, but wondered if anyone had any experiences they could share?

Thanks in advance

Jo

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
03-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #2

Re: Felix keeps falling over :-(

Hi Jo, welcome to Catsey....Cannot offer any advice, not something i have come across, hope the vet can shed some light on it on Friday....
Maybe someone will come along who can help.

03-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply, it's awful not knowing. Vet said if its neurological there may be nothing they can do which is making me sad You get so attached to them don't you?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
03-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorksuk
Thanks for your reply, it's awful not knowing. Vet said if its neurological there may be nothing they can do which is making me sad You get so attached to them don't you?
We sure do, everyone on here can understand how you feel, we are all cat lovers, as I said hope the vet can help...keep us posted...

Most members are doing the quiz in Games, Joke and funnies at the mo..finishes at 9...Maybe someone will be able to help you then...

03-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #5

That's great, thanks so much

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
03-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #6

If he is eating and not in pain etc then neurological disorders is probably the next port of call for a possible diagnosis. I dont know much about the possible implications but wanted to wish you and Felix all the best...As long as his isnt in any pain, that's the main thing.

Let us know how he gets on

Nat

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #7

Hello Jo, welcome to Catsey.....

Sorry to hear Felix is having problems with his back legs. I've never experienced this with my cats but we had a member's cat with a similar symptons earlier this year. Here's the link to her thread which may be of interest to you concerning Felix.....

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...C+falling+over

I do hope your vet can come up with an explanation and treatment for Felix, it is so worrying when you can see something is wrong, isn't it..

Good luck at the vets on Friday, do please let us know how you get on...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
03-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #8

Hi and welcome - does he go out? Could it be as a result of an injury affecting spinal nerves? Remeber hearing of something similar a while back. I wish you both good luck for Friday.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #9

As I said on the previous thread that Mags has linked for you, my cat Merlin who is now aged 23 had similar sounding problem with his back legs and the vet thought he had had a little stroke. Small strokes in cats are not dangerous and they can make, as Merlin did, a complete recovery as they have a network of nerves around the base of the brain which re-route and repair the damage - so the vet told me! However, Merlin did only have the one episode and it has not happened again. He is wobbly on his legs on getting up, but that's due to his age and there is no cure for that. He does still take his Metacam regularly.

I wish you good luck with Felix - it is very worrying for you. Please come back and let us know how things go on. We all appreciate what you are going through and this is a very friendly and supportive forum.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #10

I have no advice, Jo, never had a problem like this; just want to wish you well for Friday and hope the vet can come up with a definite diagnosis. At least he's himself, eating and not in any obvious pain. Do please come back and let us know what's happening.....