Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
09-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #1

Mustard is not well.

Haven't been on for a while as Mike's dad is seriously ill in hospital, so everything is a bit haywire at the moment. To add to our worries, Mustard was poorly last night and taken into the vets for blood tests etc today.
He is a but unsteady on his feet, seems to be totally ' out of it', his eye reflexes aren't good and he spent most of the night calling and wandering the corridor, this was after some diazepam.
His bloods today show high ALT levels, but nothing else. He has no temperature. No sickness or toilet problems. They are trying to test his blood pressure and also testing his thyroid levels, at the moment they are treating him with antibiotics. I have kept him in for over a week, as I felt he wasn't right, but there was nothing obvious to tell a vet as everything seemed normal. Yet again I should just learn to trust my judgement, rather than worry about wasting vet's time.
Has anybody else had something like this happen, I'm very worried about our handsome boy as he is only 6 and a half.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #2

Re: Mustard is not well.

So sorry to hear about Mustard. I have no suggestions I'm afraid Farthing - especially as he is a young boy. Do hope your vet can find the cause soon.

Sorry also to hear about Mike's dad. You are going through it at the moment. ((((HUGS)))) and hope things improve soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
09-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #3

Sorry - can't think what that may be. Hope your vet manages to come up with something. He is young to be so unwell - -perhaps one of these weird viral things? If it is hope it doesn't leave any lasting effects.

Also hope Mike's Dad is feeling better soon. Sending you my best wishes.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #4

Hope your vet can come up with something to help Mustard soon...

My best wishes to Mike's dad, I hope there is some improvement soon...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
09-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #5

So sorry to hear about Mustard and Mikes Dad, hope things improve for both soon...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #6

Sorry to hear the news; no idea what it could be, but hope the blood work may help the vet sort it out. Best wishes for Mike's Dad .......

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
09-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #7

Sorry to hear of your sad news. Here's hoping they are both on the mend very soon

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
11-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #8

Thanks everybody, I am a bit tired as we were called back into the hospital at 9pm last night and were there until 6 this morning, and had a few hours in bed at 4 ish this afternoon. Mike's dad is still not doing very well, although they are trying to stabilise him.
Mustard's blood tests showed nothing, other than his ALT levels were high, but the vets aren't too concerned about this and his blood pressure is fine. They have sent off samples to test for toxoplasmosis, and are treating him for this with antibiotics and steriods. If it turns out to be an inner ear infection, which is a possibility, they would use the same treatment. He is cetrainly a bit better, but still not right and I am worried we miss something while we are running backwards and forwards to the hospital. We have a very good friend, who knows all the animals and can handle the horses, and she moved into the house last night, she did the same thing on Friday morning when we were called out at 3 am. However, Mustard is a semi-feral, very nervous boy so I didn't ask her to give him his tablets yesterday morning, so I hope he will be Ok having missed part of the course. He is in quarantine until we get the toxo results back and are having to be very careful around Tabatha, as she is more vulnerable being FIV positive.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
11-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #9

Sorry to hear Mikes dad is still not good, hope he improves soon.....and mustard picks up too, thoughts with you at this time..x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #10

Hope Mike's Dad improves; and that Mustard will be OK missing a dose. Thinking of you, do keep us up to date.....