Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #1

Christmas Tradition

Does your family have a christmas tradition be it unique to your own family or shared by many.....what is it and how did it come about.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
13-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #2

Re: Christmas Tradition

We have a sort of 'village tradition' where everyone puts their lunch into cook then heads to the pub for mulled wine and mince pies Then we all go home again after a couple of hours to eat the, hopefully cooked, Christmas lunch! It's really nice as it means we get to see lots of friends on Christmas day, as well as having a 'family' Christmas. All the kids bring their new toys too, which is fun

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #3

Sorry, Kazz, we didn't have any special tradition...unless having the Christmas dinner at regular dinner time rather than in early afternoon could be considered one ...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #4

Some rather strange ones - I always have half a grapefruit for breakfast on Christmas day; we all have sherry (again!) whilst unwrapping presents and I always brighten up after the Christmas meal is over - my trial is over and whether guilty or innocent, it matters nought because I don't have the same pressures again for another year.

Catsey Veteran

13-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #5

Our Christmas traditions were when little all meeting at my Nan's house for tea on the Sunday before Christmas....my Nan always had a lovely "high" tea with mince pies, cake, sandwiches.....salmon and cucumber. chicken, ham, meat paste....choclate fingers etc we are talking late 1960's. Then we would walk round to the church for the service (Nan went to church every Sunday)....and on the way back we would all be singing carols.....my Nan, great aunt, aunts, uncles, assorted cousins (to me being the eldest of 3 it always seemed cool to be walking with my almost adult cousins then) my brother, sister mom and dad about 40 of us......this sadly all stopped as we grew older.
But its a great memory, it always seemed to be snowing too as we walked back sure it wasn't but seems to be in everyones memories......then we would all exchange gifts (ever much) and a lot of loud farewells merry christmas would be bellowed as we all left. Then minutes later we would all be back as we'd always leave something behind (I know now it was intentional) as my Nan used to get upset as we left so we'd all children that is dash back and shout "Love you Nan, Merry Christmas" and laugh as she laughed that we were so forgetful. (took me years to realise she knew what we were doing that started the year Grandad died but I was to small to remember Christmas's with him)

Christmas eve we put out the "christmas food" snacks etc we never really got luxuries.....nuts, crisps chocolate etc etc. Played charades on Christmas eve too, only time we ever did. Oh and my Dad simply had to smoke a cigar...cigar smoke and oranges together always remind me of Christmas..........

Catsey Veteran

13-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #6

How strange ones we all have boiled eggs for breakfast on Christmas day.

I have taken to walking going to see a hunt on Christmas day...or a really brisk walk.

When we were teenagers there was a brief tradition of going to the pub Christmas day lunchtime. But none of us drink............seriously........so that pettered out. Oh yes also had a tradition of going to football match watching my brother play on boxing day which stopped but this year nephew Lewis is playing in a match on the Sat (27th) so everyone going to watch him....nice to do that again.

Catsey Veteran

13-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #7

Christmas is about memories...........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
13-12-2008, 10:36 PM   #8

The day before Christmas Eve, we all pile into the car and drive around looking at all the decorated houses, Christmas songs on the stereo, belting them out at the top of our lungs. Then Christmas Eve night, we light all the candle ornaments I have (I've got loads lol), and we read the nativity and the night before Christmas. then it's bath time for the girls, into new jammies, then hang the stocking, leave out Santas whiskey and biscuits (not forgetting Rudolphs carrot ) and then off to bed they go. That was always the ritual when I was little and I've carried in on for my two

Getting so excited now

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #9

I re read A Christmas Carol every Christmas eve .....

Catsey Veteran

13-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I re read A Christmas Carol every Christmas eve .....

See thats a tradition.............Merry Christmas Eileen